8.23.2010

Newborn Necessities

Coco is three weeks old!  I am glad that we have managed to keep her alive this long.  Every day, I am in awe that a) we are parents, b) I am not pregnant anymore, and c) our newest addition to our family is finally here!  She is just wonderful.  I am in love.

With the addition of Baby Coco, our house has become filled with Baby STUFF.  Although there are several things that all babies obviously need (diapers, formula, clothing), the following is a list of our fave newborn life-savers that are not so obvious (or well-known)!

aden and anais swaddle blankets - These gauzy soft blankets are perfect for swaddling, snuggling, and can even do double duty as burp cloths in a pinch.



baby flash cards - Coco LOVES these.  Apparently, when babies are brand new, their vision isn't quite top-notch, so they can see high contrast images best.  We line her bassinet with them, rotate them, and go through all the animals' names and sounds daily.  She stares at them at length, and sometimes I catch her smiling and cooing at her little farm animal friends.

bassinet - This is by far the most useful thing we have.  It is the perfect size for our little 7 pounder (now probably 8!), and rolls semi-quietly all over the house.  She sleeps so well in this, and I can take her anywhere while I shower, do the dishes, or even step outside.

moby wrap - We love the Moby wrap.  It is a little daunting at first when trying to learn how to put it on (think yards and yards of folded fabric), but as soon as she gets snuggled in, Coco zonks out.  I think it makes her feel a little like she is in the womb, and it is great for going grocery shopping and taking walks outside (a must for any new mom trying to get over those baby blues!).

kinderglo night light - this is the coolest nightlight.  It is portable (the little owl detaches from its charging stand) and doesn't need batteries.  It changes different colors continuously (soft green, blue purple, red, blue), but you can pick a particular color and keep it on that, as well.  This is a great nightlight for nursing and diaper changes in the middle of the night - bright enough to see, but not too bright to wake the little one.  Also, it turns off automatically after about 30 minutes, so you don't have to worry about turning it off.


sleep sheep - We strap this cuddly lamb to the outside to Coco's bassinet, and it calms her instantly.  A little removable sound machine fits into the sheep's back, and has 4 different sounds.  We particularly like the ocean sounds.  It has a 23 and a 45 minute timer.  We haven't had to wash it yet, but we hear that it washes beautifully, as well.

sleep machine - This is another great sound machine that we have in her nursery.  (Notice how almost all of our faves have to do with sleeping?  It is clear what we miss and value most!)  It does triple duty - nightlight, iPod dock and sound machine.  Coco isn't sleeping in her crib yet, but I use this during the day when I'm nursing and sometimes at night, when she is especially fussy and I'm trying to calm her down without disturbing the Knight.


(see it tucked behind the little pink frame? It rocks!)

Finally, I can't say enough how much we have enjoyed and appreciated all of our friends bringing meals and gifts the past few weeks.  I know that doesn't really count as a "newborn item," but in my view, it is also a necessity.  It takes a village, right?  We haven't had to cook in a while, and I have really loved (and needed) the company!

Hope this is a helpful post if you are shopping for a cool baby gift, or getting ready to be a parent yourself.  I hope to have some non-baby related posts soon, but please just bear with me a bit longer.  I can't help myself, and they always say that the best writers just write what they know.  Right now, all I know is BABY, so I guess that's what I want to write about.

Lambs and lullabies,
post signature


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So not only is Coco absolutely beautiful, Daisy tells me that she is a PERFECT baby! I can't wait to meet her. Congrats again.

jen r.

Artsy Fartsy said...

Jen - she really is perfect. We are so in love. I can't wait for you to meet her!

Related Posts with Thumbnails