7.14.2010

Pregnancy ain't always pretty...

But it is definitely the real deal. ;)

I remember being about, oh, 12 weeks a long, looking down at my (then) relatively flat tummy and thinking "Is there really a baby in there? Hellooo...who are you and what are you? Are you really going to be our baby?"

(ignorance is bliss - me and Coco at 12 weeks)

At 36 weeks, my tummy is no longer flat, I am 100% certain that the watermelon under my shirt is indeed a real deal baby, I am definitely ready to get her out. I think. Of course, then I think of the round-the-clock feedings, the incessant crying, and the fact that once she's out, she is an immovable and ever present life and responsibility for the Knight and me. When I think of those things, I am okay with the wiggleworm inside me staying right where she is. Forever. While we are very excited, I think it would be dishonest of me not to admit that we are also kind of dreading it. Is that normal?

(these are the faces of dread...and excitement)

I have to say that thus far, I have been blessed with the easiest, peasiest pregnancy. I have had tons of energy, slept just fine, had no complications, very few mood swings, and really have felt just like my old self. It is only this week that I truly feel pregnant. Basically, what I mean is that when I wake up in the morning, I feel like I have been hit by and then run over by a semi. The Knight has to literally push me out of bed (b/c we are "modern" and have our mattress and box springs on the floor). I then proceed to waddle everywhere. I find myself trying to reduce the waddle at work, but it is getting to the point that I can't hide it. I can't touch my toes anymore, my stomach rests on the tops of my thighs when I'm sitting (that is a weird feeling, for sure), and all of my contractions seem to come at night...when I'm trying to sleep, of course.

People have asked me if I'm carrying twins or triplets, have mentioned that its obvious I'm carrying a lot of water weight, and one lady even told me that I was "carrying the baby in my face" (whatever that means). I really wanted to reply that she appeared to be carrying about 60 years in her face, but I restrained myself. I get it...I am a whale. Leave me alone.

If there is anything I have learned about being pregnant, it is that pregnant women get all kinds of abuse from complete strangers. Something about that big round belly brings out all the comments (nasty and nice) from the entire communitiy. From now on, I will only say nice things to pregnant women, or say nothing at all. I mean, it is so weird when complete strangers want to talk to you about something so personal in the middle of the grocery store, anyway.

Just to be real, yo, here I am in my Shamu bathing suit. Note the swollen legs, arms, and face? Yep, that the unfortunate side of being PREGO.The fortunate side of being "with child" is that your loved ones just want you to relax...

And feed you incredible meals. Yum.

(celebrating the Knight's first Father's Day)

Although there have definitely been some blue days, having a baby has really drawn the Knight and me closer together. I think the fact that I have slowed down (out of sheer exhaustion), and stopped trying to cram so much stuff in our lives has given us the chance to have some really great conversations and just hang out. We are approaching our 6 year anniversary at the end of this month. Remember when we went to Chicago last year to celebrate our 5 year anniversary?We never would have dreamed that year 6 would bring a baby!

Oh yeah, the nursery! Well, I know I sound like a broken record, but it is almost done. Really. Coco's room is really coming along. We finally put the decal up, moved all the furniture around to where it is supposed to go, and I have washed everything (in our new frontloading, energy efficient washer and dryer - but that is another story, for another day!). It all smells so good and just like a baby (a clean one, that is). When I was done folding everything, I couldn't help but laugh because the entire laundry basket was just various shades of pink. So much and so very pink.

All that is left is hanging stuff: curtains, mirror, pictures, a little light over the rocker and mobiles. A guy is coming on Thursday to professionally paint the doors and the bookcase, and then I think we'll be done! I can't wait to show you guys the final result. So far, I really like it. It is cheerful, but still serene. I think we will all enjoy spending time in there - which is a good thing, since I hear that we'll be in there a ton.

I have about 2.5 more weeks at work, and then I start my maternity leave. Can you believe only 25 days till my due date? Whoa. I guess I need to pack that hospital bag!

Hoping and waiting,
post signature

8 comments:

Laura said...

Pregnancy might not always be pretty, but you sure are (even in the baggy bathing suit:). I cannot believe this is all happening. Despite being at your shower, reading this just now makes it feel real!! I cannot wait to meet miss Coco!!

Artsy Fartsy said...

She can't wait to meet her Auntie Laura either! Love you and miss you!

Elizabeth & Travis Harville said...

let me just tell you that if i look half as good as you do when i am pregnant, i will be happy! you really do look great :) and i wouldn't just say that! i know you probably are really "almost" done with the nursery but if you still want me to come help with anything I would be delighted to! love you!

Anonymous said...

You are stunning! Thinking about you lots these last few weeks! Keep us posted!

Jen R.

Luke & Amanda said...

Hey Hot Mama!
You are still looking great! Dont let nasty people tell you differently...I had a coworker tell me my hips had really spread with Kate...and she thought that was a compliment! People are just crazy.
Anyway, I love you and cannot wait to meet sweet coco!
love~

Artsy Fartsy said...

Ha! You guys are awesome...thanks for the love fest. I sure wasn't trying to get encouragement and compliments, but they are still so nice to hear! I guess I just needed to rant.

Kelley B said...

You two make an adorable couple/team and your foundation will be sturdy enough for expanding your family. I have heard that we just add another room to our hearts. Pregnancy trains you to slow down by day and to wake easily for the middle of the night potty/feedings. I am sure you have gotten lots of advice...feel free to sift through and keep only what makes sense to you two. Much love and hugs.

Tiffany said...

Agreed - I hope that "dreading" baby's arrival is normal too. I think fear of the unknown is what scares me the most, but how exciting that she is almost here!! You look great and I love your room and what you did with the bedding...

Related Posts with Thumbnails