5.11.2010

Birthday Perfection!

So, my birthday weekend was really fantastic, and I just had to share it with you!

On Thursday, I walked into the office to find a lovely tray of chess squares FOR ME, made by one of the great cooks in our office, along with some thoughtful gifts from my office buds. Then, for lunch, all the female partners and associates met for a birthday lunch. There are 3 female attorneys in my office who have May birthdays, and it was so fun to get out of the office and be "just the girls" for a change.

After working for most of the day, I scooted out of the office early to meet the Knight for our birthday day. First stop? Couple's massage at Gould's (prenatal for me, of course). It was the perfect way to wind down after a stressful day and week. When we got home, we were discussing our attire for the evening. He kept insisting that I wear my white button-up maternity shirt and jeans, and I was fussing at him for telling me what to wear, and explaining that I did not think it would be appropriate to wear jeans, if we were going to a nice restaurant.

Finally, he just laughed, walked off, and came back with a tiny gift bag in hand. Of course, the best gifts come in tiny packages (see, e.g., Babydoll Roberts), and I knew that the goodies inside were going to be perfect for me. Let me just say...the Knight 'dun good. :)
I opened the box to find a ridiculously long strand of black Tahitian pearls. They are beautiful, and can be wrapped around my neck 2-4 times. Fantastic. All of the sudden, his insistence on the white shirt/jean combo made sense. What sets of a strand of black pearls better than a crisp, white top?

After getting ready for dinner (still don't know where we are going), we drive over to this tiny little restaurant. Inconspicuous from the outside, but the smells emanating from the building were to die for. Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen has only been in Memphis for about a year, but since its debut, my friends have gone back again and again. After finally tasting the food (and dining al fresco), I have to say that A/M has become my new favorite restaurant. A/M shops locally, grows a lot of their food right in their backyard, and everything is made from scratch (including the pasta)! The service and the food are fantastic.

On Friday, the Knight and I visited the Memphis Zoo. We got a later start than I originally planned, but our arrival ended up timing perfectly with many of the animals' feeding times. We got to see a polar bear, panda bear, wolves, grizzly bears, and bobonos feedings. The panda was my favorite - such a couch potato. :)


On Saturday, the Knight and I woke early and headed to the downtown Memphis Farmers' Market.
It is one of my favorite places to go during the spring and summer. Fresh, locally grown organic produce, plants, flowers, breads, honeys, and a myriad of other delightful foods and gifts.

The peonies are in bloom right now, and I managed to snag a few from one of my favorite booths...aren't they beautiful?
After buying a few more plants for our yard, some delicious strawberries, and a few other odds and ends, we headed to Au Fond for breakfast.
It is fast becoming my favorite place to eat in Memphis. It reminds me of a quaint French homey general store and family cafe...the food is simple, reasonable, and beautifully prepared.

On the way home, we decided to spend the rest of the day working in the yard. We built a raised vegetable garden, planted and potted flowers, and soaked up the sun.

The left-hand bottom corner picture shows the end product. We ran out of chicken wire, so the Knight made a cute little gate. Now, I can get in and out with ease, but Henry Bear is easily kept away from the tempting seedlings. He loves to dig, and I am amazed that he hasn't tried to dig up the other "uncaged" plants that we planted that day.

All in all, it was a lovely "stay-cation" long weekend. I am so thankful for the time the Knight and I get to spend together...our schedules are very different during the weekend, so I really treasure the few moments we have, here and there. It felt positively decadent to have him to myself for 4 days straight!

Hope you and yours are having a lovely day. Anyone care to share about their weekend?

Pandas and perennials,

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect birthday and weekend!

Love the panda pics lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails