1.12.2010

What a wonderful wedding!

My big little bro is married!


The Knight, Betty and I braved the icy Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma roads last Thursday and hoofed it to Tulsa! As soon as we arrived, we got caught up in the wedding frenzy!

On Friday, the bridesmaids (my sister and I were two of 12!) went to a lovely nail bar for a mani/pedi with the bride, followed by a lovely lunch at a place called Cardigans. Isn't that the cutest name?

As soon as we finished nom-nomming it up (I had a wedge salad and french onion soup - yum!), Mom and I headed to El Guapo's to check on the restaurant's progress in getting ready for the rehearsal dinner. Poor Mom had no clue exactly how many people were coming to the dinner (between 50 and 100, my brother told her), so she had to scour the city for a place that could quickly and flexibly accommodate such a large difference in the number. El Gaupo's is this really cool, kind of upscale Mexican restaurant in an artsy fartsy part of Tulsa.

Everything was already set up - it looked great. Black tablecloths, mismatched wooden chairs, long rows of tables, and candles. All it needed was our flower arrangements, the food, and the people!

We left feeling relieved and excited, and headed to go buy flowers for the dinner. Our trip to get flowers took a little longer (you can blame me for being so picky), so by the time we got home, it was 4:30 p.m. We were supposed to be back downtown by 5:30, and I wasn't even dressed yet! Augh!

We hurriedly put together 16, yes, I repeat 16 flower arrangements, threw on our clothes and rushed to the church. We got there just in time to hear the crazy wedding planner lady (are they always crazy, or just in my life?), and began rehearsal.

Afterwards, everyone headed to the dinner and in the end, 80 people showed up. El Guapo's handled everything beautifully, and the fajita bar was a hit. I am still craving their fresh guacamole! After the meal, people began their toasts. This was my favorite part of the weekend, getting to hear all these different people from my brother's and sister-in-law's lives talk about their crazy adventures and wonderful friendships with these two special people. Some tears (okay, a lot) were shed, but they were all happy tears.

After the dinner, the bridesmaids headed over to the MOB's house to continue the warm feelings and sappiness. I am a sucker for sap, but I was EXHAUSTED. I'm glad I went though, because I really feel like I got to know my future sister better. Hearing from others how she is such a strong, inspiring, and devoted friend gave me even more confidence that she will be a fabulous wife to my dear brother.

Saturday morning started off with a bang, and my sister and I rushed to the hair salon to begin our wedding day preparations.


(my precious little sis!)

1 bride, one mother of the bride, 12 bridesmaids, and 2 flower girls in one salon was sheer lovely madness. We got all purtied up, headed to church and began the pictures.

Ahh, pictures. Did I mention that it was fuh-reezing in Tulsa? Like 10-16 degrees outside. Oh yeah, plus straight line winds. AWESOME. It was a beautiful clear, but bitterly cold day. Everyone knows that pictures are better outside, so we sucked it up Sports Illustrated Swimsuit style, and braved the cold for some wedding day pictures. I hope they turn out well, because they went fast!

I haven't seen the professional ones yet, but here are a few snapshots that I stole/borrowed from FB.

(before the wedding)

(here comes the Bride!)
(saying "I Do")

(such a lovely couple)

(hurrah - Married!)

The wedding itself was gorgeous. It was held in a beautiful old church, First United Methodist, with huge stained glass windows, arched carved wooden doors, and the largest organ in Oklahoma.



(Pictures courtesy of here and here.)

Amazing. My brother and his bride wrote their own vows, and when they were done reciting them, the entire church was teary and sniffly. Who knew my brother was such a poet?

After a joyous recessional, we headed to the reception for some delicious food, drinks, and dancing. The DJ was great, and even my dad cut a rug during the cupid shuffle. Huh-larious.

All in all, it was a fantastic wedding celebration weekend for two fantastic people. The now Mr. and Mrs. R deserve the best in life, and I hope their marriage is long, happy, and full of laughs and many children!

Church kisses and champagne toasts,

post signature

2 comments:

Risley said...

sounds (and looks) like fun! what a pretty Church!

Kelley B said...

Great pics...such a lovely couple...Blessings1

Related Posts with Thumbnails