9.15.2009

What to wear to a black tie optional wedding?

The Knight and I have five weddings coming up soon. I thought we were out of the wedding woods (being old marrieds ourselves - five years, baby!), but then, up goes another few couples who are *in love* and get all married and stuff.

Suckers. Who would want to do such a thing? :0)

Anywhoodies, three of the aforementioned five weddings are black tie optional. For me, this term conjures up nostalgic images of dapper gents in tuxes and lovely ladies in floor length gowns, but I have this sinking suspicion that while the tuxes may still reign supreme, floor-length ball gowns are not so much.

Which is sad really. Where else am I supposed to wear some of my beautiful (and I'm not being sarcastic) bridesmaid dresses to?


This dress was my favorite bridesmaid dress of all...and it is just sitting in my closet watching me get fatter and fatter.


And because I luff her so, here is a close-up of me with my best friend and the beautiful bride-to-be-back-then, Heavens to Betsy. Love you, darling! Can't believe that its been two years, already!


So, the point of this increasingly longish post is....what am I supposed to wear to a black tie optional wedding?

Please advise, and soonish, if you don't mind. This girl needs to go shopping -- pronto!

champagne and Chantilly,
post signature

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Black Tie Optional or Black Tie Invited gives you the option of wearing a tuxedo or formal dress, but it should clue you into the formality of the event, meaning a dark suit and tie would be your other option. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates

Amanda @ Bits and Pieces said...

I always follow Ms. Emily Post!

http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/attire.htm

Black Tie Optional:
Men- Either a tuxedo or dark suit, white shirt and conservative tie

Women- Formal (floor length) evening gown or
short, dressy cocktail dress, or dressy separates

Jess(ica) said...

Blerg. "Optional" is annoying. I would go long dress that's not as fancy as bridesmaid, but still nice. Or a more formal cocktail dress.

Anonymous said...

I’d go with fancy cocktail. I don’t think you can go wrong there. As for bridesmaids, remember the whole, “cut ‘em off and wear ‘em later!” bit? HA! Glad to make the page this morning! Go team!

Heavens to Betsy said...

AFS, I might be a bit partial, but I think this might be may favorite post ever :) I am glad you enjoyed your dress.
I must (unfortunately, becuase I love floor length gowns,) agree with you. The only place I ever see them anymore is prom or on a bridesmaid. I think you must go dressy cocktail. One idea I might try - cut off a full length gown. I did this two years ago, and it is my favorite semiformal attire. I took an A-line skirt and took it to B. Hughes (your favorite). The lady there made a knee-length pickup skirt - the kind that looks like it has a bunch of little tucks. And kept the stapless top. Voila! It is pretty awesome, in my opinion!

Kelley B said...

What a glam girl! Lovely dress! I'll vote dressy cocktail. Under no circumstances should you alter the gorgeous bridesmaid dress in the photo...that would totally ruin the effect and it might be much. Is the little black dress too done?

Related Posts with Thumbnails