5.06.2009

Birthday Blues

Today, I am 28.  sigh.


Usually, I am very excited about my birthday.  See, e.g., 27, 26, and 25 (entitled "Secret Lovers #6 & #7 -- Also, thoughts on my chin.").  Once, I even blogged an entire post about the proper way to have a girl birthday (second post from the top entitled "Finally, something to thank Eve for...").  I assure you...I typically follow this plan to the letter.  Not this year.  

I can't really figure out why, except probably because no one is making a big fuss about it this year.  Which is typically what happens when a birthday falls on a rainy Wednesday.  

Also, this past year has been the most "adult" year I have ever had.  The Knight and I bought a house, have real "careers," and are starting to witness the deaths of very present, very important people in our and our friends' lives.  There's no turning back to the days of skipping class, wild parties with hot college coeds, and hugely fast metabolism.  My biggest worries are no longer what I'll make on a final or whether so & so likes me.  Now I worry about taxes, keeping my job, pollution, marital stresses, whether we should have kids, and my parents' aging.  I guess life is just heavy right now.  

Truth be told, I have a lot to be thankful for.  I guess sometimes it is easy to get bogged down in the mundane aspects of life.  I'm generally a very happy, some would say "perky", person.  Today is a rare melancholy day for me.  Is it weird that sometimes I find melancholy comforting?  Like a big warm blanket on a drizzly, gray day.

  
(photo from flickr)
post signature

7 comments:

Rosie said...

This is my 1st time commenting, but I've read your blog for a little while and enjoy it. Strangely enough, May 6 is also my birthday and I am turning 28 too. I agree--it feels different than past birthdays, not because I necessarily feel "old," but more like a "grown-up." Car repairs, job worries, and the slowing metabolism--especially horrifying. But what can ya do?! I hope you have a great birthday nonetheless!

b is for brown said...

we are officially adults now and it is scary. real worries and concerns. try to have a happy day, though. it is all about you! celebrate! just started following you and love the blog.

Diabolina Da Fashionista said...

kiss you. know that you are not alone. and focus on the blessings. that helps with the whole grown up on your birthday blues. that and a new pair of shoes ;)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, e! i miss you!

hugs,
jen r

Julianna said...

Have a Happy Birthday! Looking forward to seeing you Friday!

Artsy Fartsy said...

Thank you all for the birthday wishes! Kisses to you all!

Anonymous said...

It must be a Taurus thing. I really don't want tomorrow to come, my B-day. It's not a big one but it's not a happy one either. Although I am trying to be grateful for my life, I can't be happy about this birthday. Maybe next year will be better. Trying to keep the spirit up. I wish you all happy birthdays.

Related Posts with Thumbnails