3.25.2009

Served with a side of diaper cake?

A while ago, I alluded to the fact that I had made a diaper cake and at some point in the future, I would attempt to show you how I made one.

First, some of you may be wondering "What in the world is a diaper cake?"  To quote the Knight, "That sounds disgusting."

Until just a few months ago, I didn't know what a diaper cake was either.  Then, I went to a baby shower, and saw the cutest practical decoration I had ever seen.  It was a diaper cake.  Basically, a diaper cake is a bunch of diapers bound together and stacked in tiers to resemble a cake.  Depending on how elaborate the diaper cake maker gets, the diaper cake can be simply decorated with ribbons, or can be bursting with little treats, flowers, and all kinds of decor shee-shee-poo-poo.

Obviously, I am from the second camp - you know that I love my cha-cha and cutesy clutter.  So, to that end, let me show you what I did.  

First, you need to gather supplies.  You will need diapers, at least 3 thin baby blankets, safety pins, and things to decorate the cake.  I chose items that matched the nursery and tried to spend money on items that could actually be used (teething rings, pacifiers, books, frog bathtub faucet cover).  Also, you'll probably want some fun coordinating ribbon to tie everything together.


Depending on the type of decorations, you'll need something to tie the diapers with (I used yarn, but I think rubber bands would have been easier) and craft glue or a glue gun.


Take a diaper, cut your yarn (or get a rubber band), and roll up the diaper, fastening the roll with the tie or the rubber band.


Make 6 or 7 of the rolls, smoosh them together in a circle, and use a bigger piece of string to tie the whole bunch together:


This is your core roll for the bottom base.  Next, start adding diaper rolls to the core:


Once you think the base is deep enough (I think my base was 3-4 diapers deep), stick a dowel rod or two into the center of the base.  Continue with the rolls to make the second tier, shoving the center of the second tier onto the dowel rod (this keeps the cake straight and secure).  If you feel the need, add a couple extra dowels around the second tier, but make sure you cover them up with another layer of diapers!


If you have a little pet baby, you might find it amusing to try putting a diaper on her.
 
 

She will not like it, but will probably run around the house kicking like a donkey.  


It  won't speed up the process of making the diaper cake, but it might make you laugh so hard that you cry.  

Okay, back to the diaper cake.  Once you have created and secured your tiers (this will take a while), the real fun begins!

Take the first thin blanket, and begin tucking and wrapping it around the base tier.  I used diaper pins to secure the extra parts of the blanket underneath the diaper.

Once you have covered each tier with a baby blanket, plan where you put the various items you have to decorate the cake.  I tied coordinating ribbons on the items to jazz them up a bit and to make them look a little more color-coordinated:



I also used glue to layer ribbons of different thicknesses on top of each other.  I think that it really gave each tier a "custom" look:


Then, I added a strip of the ribbon to each tier and fastened them with more diaper pins (make sure the glue is dry on the ribbons so you don't ruin the baby blanket)!



Once you have added the ribbon and pinned on all the baby items, you are done!  Oh, and don't forget to put the entire concoction on a pretty cakestand.  It is a diaper CAKE after all!


So, what do you think?  Any suggestions from other seasoned diaper caker decorators?

post signature

7 comments:

Victoria said...

I think the diaper cake is super cute! I love the frog! I've never made one, but my sister has. I'm hoping to make one in the next year or two for my recently married friends. I will come back to this post to get some fantabulous ideas. Great job and 5 out of 5 gold stars! :)

Lavender Lily said...

so cute!

Daniel Roberts said...

Wow Sis-
You never cease to amaze me haha!

i love stumbling onto your blog and it makes me miss you soooo much!!

Artsy Fartsy said...

So glad everyone liked it! They take a while to make, but are so fun to look at!

little bro - I miss you, too. When are you and El coming to visit?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I think the idea is dumb... first of all it's a wedding cake shape. What does that have to do with a baby shower? Then, disgustingly, it's made from diapers.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous...you clearly are not a fun person.

e diaper cake said...

I love your diaper cakes! I think it looks really creative.

Related Posts with Thumbnails