2.18.2009

Camping Crazies.

So. Wanna hear about our camping experience?

First, it was definitely a fun weekend. I got to watch the Knight go all testosteroney on me and chop firewood,


build fires,


and carry around fierce woodland creatures.


We got to see beautiful waterfalls,

mysterious grottos,


natural bridges,


babbling brooks,

homes built over 150 years ago (can you believe this tiny cabin housed 2 parents and 9 kids?!?),

and trails made just for lovers.

We even sported our VOL pride in Razorback country, much to the chagrin of our fellow campers. :)

There were certainly some interesting events, as well.

First, remember how scared I was about camping on Friday the 13th? Well, in the middle of the night, I had to give in to Nature's Call. I figured Betty needed to go too, so we stumbled out of the tent with tennis shoes untied and bleary eyes. We half walked/ half slept to the the campground's (surprisingly clean) restroom. As we approached, I saw a rope hanging from the door handle. I couldn't figure out what it was until I got right up to the door and saw that it was a NOOSE! I about died. What in the world is a noose doing around the ladies' bathroom door handle??

Well, I didn't wait around to figure out the answer. Betty and I hightailed back to the tent, and decided that going to the bathroom was WAY overrated. I spent the rest of the night wide awake. I kept waiting for some crazed Arkansas Deliverance man to slash through our tent and string me up! So creepy.

Oh, and did I mention that at night it was FREEZING? Yep. 30 degrees at night. Guess who was a genius and only brought her 10 year old Target cheapie sleeping bag? Poor little Betty wore two sweaters and slept inside my sleeping bag with me. During the day, the Knight and I took turns carrying her in our coats until it warmed up outside.

I wore 2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of pants, a long sleeved tee, a fleece, my hoodie sweatshirt, a coat, mittens and a scarf, and I was STILL cold!

We hiked about 7 miles on Saturday and another mile or two on Sunday. Betty was a trooper and hiked almost every step with us.

When we got back from our hikes on Saturday, we wrapped her up in a blanket and placed her on the camping chair ottoman.


She didn't move for about 6 hours. I'm pretty sure we wore her out! I was a little concerned that she might be sore the next day, but she was fine and ready for more hiking!

On Valentine's Day night, the Knight and I cooked sausages and made mashed potatoes. We drank wine, stared at the fire for hours and talked about our future, our dreams, and how far we have come. He even remembered to pack the card he bought for me!

All in all, it was a perfect weekend. Perfect for puppy love. Perfect for people love.

post signature

3 comments:

ashleystravel said...

OK, the picture of the Knight carrying Betty Rascal is just about the cutest picture I have ever seen!

Luke & Amanda said...

I love yall! What a wonderful trip...and BR is the cutest thing (besides The Knight, of course!)

love~

purejoy said...

tripped on your blog. read this post and had to comment! yay for camping. yay for doggie-carrying-sweeater-wearing-passing out on the chair-crashing weekend. boo on the cold and the noose and the cold and the layers and the cold and the brrrrrr. and boo for sure on not sleeping.
camping in the winter for me = sentence to hell, but hey, that's just me. i do love camping (and we tent camp, too) but have definite ideas of WHEN that is going to work with my rather prissy standards.
thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails