1.29.2009

My "not so dirty" little secret

I have a confession to make today.  It is nothing earth-shattering, but it is definitely something about me that I don't often share.


(The Knight and I use a cleaning service.)

I don't know why I am ashamed to admit this, but I guess it has something to do with my Southern female baggage which makes me feel guilty if I can't keep my own house clean.  And it seems a little bit "showy" to say that (using snobby inflection here) "I have a maid."

I grew up in a family where, as a child, I truly believed that my siblings and I were conceived to serve as our parents' servants.  I'm exaggerating a bit, but in my family, chores knew no gender or age boundaries.  On Saturdays, my brother and I swept, mopped, dusted, vacuumed, and scrubbed the tubs and toilets.  We were somewhat responsible for laundry (although after washing too many of Mom's nice sweaters, that chore wasn't assigned as often!).  

The Knight, on the other hand, was raised in a family where he had very little "inside the house" responsibility.  He mowed and did yard work, but it wasn't until college when he started discovering the joys of laundry and bathroom cleaner.

Anywho, merging two people with very different "chore" backgrounds proved to be quite an interesting challenge when we tied the knot.  Inevitably, we would each fall into the "looking for the other person's speck, while failing to acknowledge the plank in our own eye" trap, and fuss at each other for not doing the chores.  (Okay, that was mainly me, but still, you get the idea).

I don't know about the rest of you, but,  in the past, most of our fights centered around (or were exacerbated by) who was responsible for what in the house.  

So, when we bought our house, we decided that one thing we would treat ourselves to is to hire a cleaning lady.  We were both working tons of hours, and weren't sure if the house would ever truly be clean if we were responsible for it.  Plus, we didn't want to spend our precious free time waxing, polishing, and scrubbing.  

We called around, met with a few services, and were pleasantly surprised by the reasonableness of the prices.  After comparing all the factors (word of mouth reference, price, insured and bonded?, type of products used, etc.), we settled on the local company, 2 Chicks and A Broom.  

We liked the idea of supporting a local business.  A business who hires permanent "chicks" and "chucks" but also employees motivated college students.  PLUS, they use all-natural products, so we don't have to worry about little Betty getting sick by all the cleaning fumes.  You can read about 2 Chicks here.

We get our house cleaned every other week, for three hours each time.  Our house is 2,500 square feet, and I guarantee you that it would take me longer than that to do all that they do.  The cost ($90) averages out to be roughly one nice meal a week.  We eat out less, cook more, and then pay someone to meticulously clean the kitchen! 

Of course, I understand that this type of thing is a luxury.  But we don't live extravagant lives.  I know a lot of people who spend about the same on coffee and muffins each week.  Of course, if something big happened in our lives where we had to cut the 'fat,' this would be one of the first things to go.  But until then, we are pleased as punch with our little secret.

Why am I confessing this?  Well, for one thing, our house it TONS cleaner.  Also, it has truly helped our marriage.  In this seemingly over-stressed, unhappy world, it has helped us both of us to become less stressed, happier people. 

And, isn't that what life is all about?
 

Dust bunnies and cobweb kisses,

post signature

5 comments:

penny lane designs said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. :) Yes- there have certainly been plenty of GULP moments!

And I don't think the house cleaner is anything to be ashamed of. I often wonder how we are supposed to fit it all in when working full time?? For a house that big, a maid is a must!

Anonymous said...

we use one too!! and i don't want to tell a soul. i have only recently confessed to a few friends my deep, bright and shiny secret. my marriage is less stressful and so am i. our free time is precious and i do not want to spend it scrubbing toilets. so there. i hope you feel better after sharing:)

ashleystravel said...

Even before I got married, I told myself that whenever I started making money I would hire a house cleaner. It is a luxury, but I feel it is a very worthwhile luxury.

Janet Middlekauff said...

I grew up with a maid! I never had any chores around the house except taking out the trash every other day. Of course, it wasn't very helpful in learning household responsibility when I moved out of my parents house. I still struggle with cleaning on a regular basis and trying to keep a cleaning schedule. I'm just a little jealous only because I completely understand the convenience and joy of having someone else take that off your plate of things to do. ENJOY!!!

chaletgirl said...

We also did this as soon as we moved in together - and I think we have a much better marriage as a result! Of course I know that if we didn't have a cleaner, then it's not straight off to the divorce courts! It just takes away one less thing to conflict over. We also pay $90 every two weeks, and it's the best money we could ever pay towards having a great relationship!
And to make you feel less guilty? I don't even work - how bad is that??

Related Posts with Thumbnails