1.28.2009

Family Treasures

For the past couple of years, I have been slowly collecting old family photos from both sides of the Knight and my family.  Long before we bought our house, I had this vision of white shelves full of assorted family photos layered on top of each other, kind of like what you see in PB, but with personal photos - not art.


When we bought our house, the den had the perfect space of wall between our bedroom door and office door.  
I got these great crown molding shelves from the PB Outlet for $35.  Total.  They retail for about $50 apiece in the catalog!  That's a savings of $115!  Memphis may have its problems, but thank God for the Pottery Barn/ Williams Sonoma/ West Elm outlets.  

Once we decided to paint the room a dark slatey brown, I knew I needed to frame everything in lots of white and silver/bronze-ish, so the photos wouldn't get lost in the dark expanse of the wall.

This is what I came up with.
Although we had the shelves AND the pictures ready to go, they just kind of sat around for a couple of months, waiting on us.  Does anyone else hate making the final decisions of where to hang stuff?  Or is that just me?  If you come to my house right now, you will see various mirrors and pictures lining the walls.  I move stuff around until I'm sure it's "just right" and then I get the guts to hang it.  Even then, I regret the decision and then you have all those wall holes.  Ugh.

Anywho, the main reason for our hesitation with this project was the wall itself.  The walls in our den are not drywall, but paper thin paneling from the '80s.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that heavy shelves laden with even heavier pictures isn't a great match for paper thin paneling.  

Several different anchors (Home Depot loves us) and several errant holes in the wall later, we finally found an anchor that "spreads out" behind the paneling on the other side of the will - thus gripping a greater surface area and reducing the chance of the shelves ripping the wall off.  It was quite an ordeal, but finally the shelves are up, and I have arranged the pictures in a somewhat satisfying way.  

(please ignore the spackling...I told you there were several errant holes!)

I just love that at any time, the Knight and I can walk by and be reminded of the wonderful people that we came from... to me, this wall is a nontraditional way to feature the family tree and honor the ones you love.  So, what do you think?

Betty seems to like it!

post signature

3 comments:

Melissa said...

love it!! I think it looks REALLY good. Luckily, I don't have paneling in this home but my home I grew up in our ENTIRE house was paneling.. it was such a pain... Everytime I changed my room and would paint or wallpaper I could never hide those darn paneling lines..err. That is one thing I don't like about the 70's

Cristie said...

Love it, what a great idea!

The Lavender Lily said...

Your wall looks so nice! I have the same problem with hanging things. I lean stuff against that wall because I can't decide, but then Hubster tries to be helpful and hangs it when I'm not around...so then I'm stuck with it even if I don't like it because I don't want to hurt his feelings...ha! I want to do a similar thing in our guest room, but with pictures from our travels and vacations.

Related Posts with Thumbnails