12.10.2008

Trials and Tribulations

Hi there! It has been a crazy but incredible week. I can't go into details, but I have been "2nd chairing" my first trial this week! 2nd chairing basically means that you know the file inside and out (our file is 14 boxes of documents - yikes!), do lots of research, figure out what exhibits we want in, write motions in limine, propose jury instructions, and anything else the partner wants me to do. Lucky for me, the partner I'm working with is really cool, and she let me argue pretrial motions AND I conducted direct examination on not one, but two witnesses!

Now, that may sound completely nerdy, but I have to say - it is so fun being in trial. There's no telling what the jury is thinking, but so far, it has just been satisfying arguing a point of law to the judge and winning!

Okay, so enough about trial...suffice it to say, I would have NEVER guessed that I would be getting big trial experience 3 months after starting at my firm.

In addition to trial, I am proud to announce that the Knight and I finished the St. Jude Half Marathon this past weekend. It was very exciting and very hard. I finished in 2 hours and 28 minutes. The Knight finished in under an hour. I am so proud of him!


Every time that I got discouraged I would think about all those wonderful kids that the race would help. It was a pretty emotional race for me - first, I was slightly overwhelmed that I was actually running a half marathon. If you had asked me a year ago if I ever thought I could do such a thing, I would have just giggled. I really never thought I would be able to do such a physically tasking thing, and I did! I mean, I know other people achieve way more than that, but any of you who know me know that I am the farthest thing from a natural athlete. The women in my family are built for two things: childbirth and eating...NOT running.

Second, it was so incredibly inspiring to be running with St. Jude heroes. So many people had "Running in memory of so and so" or "So and so is running with us in spirit." In particular, I remember passing the three 11-12 year old girls. The back of their shirts said the following:

St. Jude Entry Fee: $70
Comfy running shoes: $90
Running in memory of our best friend: Priceless

Okay, GULP! I really had to hold back the tears on that one! Anyway, it was a great experience.

Well, I would love to write more, but I am just spent. I have been working nonstop 12-13 hour days. I'm having so much fun with this trial, but it is taking its toll on me!

G'night!

post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! congrats on all the achievements, e! i miss hearing your stories in person! let me know the next time you're in town. hope y'all have a wonderful christmas!

jgr

The Lavender Lily said...

Wow, under an hour! That's amazing! My hubster ran his first half-marathon last year and ran it in about 2.5 hours...his next one is this Sunday and he is hoping to finish in under 2 hours...

Good for y'all, I can't imagine running that long!!!

Artsy Fartsy said...

Did I say one hour for the Knight? I meant under two! The Knight finished in under two! I think the person who finished in under 1 hour actually won the whole thing! Sorry I said it wrong - I guess this trial is really wearing me out!

penny lane designs said...

Just stopping by to say hello! That is awesome about the run! :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad work is going so well, and I know you are busy, but I seriously missed your Christmas gift list suggestions this year. I bought my sister-in-law the sublime stitching kit and overnight bag you listed last year and she loved them! Such great unique gifting advice you have!

Julianna said...

You wouldn't have been able to hold back the tears while running if you'd seen what I did. As we were passing the hospital I saw a mom in her pajamas pulling a wagon with her child in it. The kid was wearing a face mask to avoid germs, it was freezing cold and about 7:30 in the morning and all this poor kid wanted to do was go see the runners!

Femme Star said...

Yay, I got into law school and can't wait to do some of the fun things you're doing! Of course I have 3 more years lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails