12.31.2008

Across the Universe...at least a good part of the state anyway.

Daisy just called, and she and Mr. Brown are on their way! He flew in from New York this a.m., and at 9:47 a.m., they left Nashville. I am dying to see them...it has been months since we last hung out and even then I don't think it was for a very long visit.

As soon as they get close, I am leaving work and heading to the store to grab some last minute items (flowers, champagne, maybe candy corn? and will giddily hop around the house until they arrive. There are few things more joyous than awaiting the arrival of a long-time friend, don't you think?

Last night, I went shopping for something to wear to tonight's New Year's Eve party. The invitation said "Cocktail Attire," but I have to say that I don't really know what that means anymore. I've been to some events which were dubbed "Cocktail" and people showed up wearing dark expensive jeans and a glittery top. Now, I liked what they wore, but that doesn't really seem to be true cocktail attire to me. After taking a hard look at my wardrobe, I decided that I didn't fit into any of the cocktail dresses in my closet, and, so, I headed to the mall.

For some reason, I had it in my head that I would be able to find the perfect dress - sexy, festive, but still classy, at Forever 21 or Charlotte Russe for less than $40 AND be able to find the perfect accessories for said dress.

Boy, was I wrong.

First, let me just point something out. I am not a teeny girl. I'm pretty sure that the last time I weighed 100 lbs was in the 4th grade. I used to fancy myself a size 6, but lately I've had to come to terms with the fact that I'm definitely more of an 8, even occasionally a size 10 (gasp!). I'm not hung up on my dress size, but I do acknowledge that being thin is not natural for me.

Second, after the 1/2 marathon was over, I went on a running hiatus. I needed a break, and greedily took two weeks off. Unfortunately, my eating kept on...just as if I was still running 20 - 25 miles per week. With all the holiday treats and feasts, old girl has packed on some flab and pounds. Ugh to the F.

Okay, so now, let's go back to the mall. Here I am, skipping around those teeny bopper stores, grabbing sparkly tops, pencil skirts, and ruffly dresses left and right. I am ushered into an Alice in Wonderland-esque dressing room, and begin trying on all my selections.

Noth. Ing. Fits.

Can't. Get. The. Skirt. Over. My. Hips.

"Um, excuse me? Do you think you would mind getting me a larger size in this? (hands out a lovely, but extraordinarily tiny pencil skirt)

(teeny sales girl snottily sniffs) "Mmmm, that is the largest size we have."

"Oh, I see." (whimper sniffle).

After two more unsuccessful attempts at Wet Seal and Charlotte Russe, I admitted defeat. It was time I act my age (you know, the ripe old age of 27) and shop in stores made for girls like me. Dillards was close by, and I shuffled in, head hanging low. But then? I started noticing things. Cute dresses. Pretty dresses. Exceptionally lovely dresses. Designer names that I recognized. All made in high quality fabrics - raw silk, silk voile, velvet, satin...with all kinds of darling details - flirty, filmy ruffles, tiny and discreet bows, edgy rosettes, shirring, sequins, pockets, and all kinds of glorious pintucking. The kind of gorgeous party dresses girls my age dream of.

The best part? Everything fit. Some things were even too big. I was redeemed.

It was getting late, I was exhausted, but I finally found one dress that suited my needs, was (barely) within my budget, and could be worn to other events.

(kensie silk voile dress in teal - pictures from here)

What do you think? My dress isn't blue like the one pictured, it is a bronze/olivey green version. It's lightweight, shimmery, and for once in my life - not a boring black dress.

I didn't have time to get any accessories, but if you have any suggestions, do tell!

Hope each of you has a happy, fun, and safe New Year's. Be careful, and don't be afraid to call a cab!

Confetti and carats,

post signature

2 comments:

The Lavender Lily said...

cute dress! it is so sad when you start to outgrow the cheap, trendy stores...i'm hanging on to forever 21 for as long as possible, but i feel my time coming...

ashleystravel said...

We need more Artsy Fartsy. So, I have tagged you for a meme:
http://www.ashleystravel.com/blog/2009/01/seven-random-things/

Don't feel like you *have* to do it, but I would love more posts either way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails