10.14.2008

Life is pretty amazing

And I just bought the print to prove it:

It's big (16x20) and it comes from Europe! I can't wait for this arrive...it is going in the craft room.

(Shame on you, Melissa...your delicious website always tempts me to shop. And we know I have NO self control!).

I'm on cloud nine today. I think I've mentioned that I'm training for a half marathon. Right? I know - you must think I'm crazy for putting my body through such torture. Usually, around mile 3, I'd agree with you. It has been pretty difficult sticking to a regular running schedule. The weather has been great, but I've been incredibly busy, and I usually don't get home until after dark. I can't stand running on the treadmill, so I'm left with three options :1) run in the morning. 2) run in the dark and risk getting mugged/raped/run over, or 3) don't run.

I have tried running in the morning. "Tried" being the operative word, here. I am not much of a morning person, and for me to be able to run and still get to work in a timely manner, I have to get up before dawn. Me trying to run all leadfooted and half asleep in the dark is not pretty or safe. Let's just say that the last time I tried to run in the morning, I brought home more than my fair share of gravel in both of my knees and my palms. It was a miracle I still had all my teeth after that morning.

Obviously, I can't exercise option number three (i.e., not running at all). I am not in tip top shape, and I assure that I could not even begin to run 13 miles if I hadn't trained at all.

So, that leaves me with option number 2, running in the dark at night. Although I feel that my neighborhood is fairly safe, I do live in Memphis, and am well aware that crime could happen anywhere. Before I go on my run, I make sure the Knight knows my route, my estimated run time, and (if he's home) ask him to drive by about 1/2 way through my run just to make sure I'm still alive and kicking.

Anywho, I ran 5 miles last night! For all you runners out there, that may not seem like much, but for me...that was huge! I haven't run that much since I ran cross country in high school, and I felt really good after I got through the first couple of miles (for some reason, those are always the worst).

5 miles was the distance I was supposed to run on Saturday morning, but instead I ran the Le Bonheur Pumpkin Run (5K). I was planning on running the additional two miles after the fact, but after the first 3 miles, I was DONE. The other two new associates at my firm found out that they passed the bar on Friday, and so all the associates took them out for an afternoon of, ahem, celebrating. The Knight joined our group, and we continued our celebration for the rest of the evening. Suffice it to say, a Saturday morning run fueled only with the previous night's coffee and alcohol isn't really a great idea.

SO...getting back to my story, I had to make up my long run on Monday night. I was afraid that I would be exhausted from working, but actually I think work created enough stressful energy that I was actually looking forward to using my tennis shoes to pound away the day's cares.

I am just proud of myself. I'm not real fast, and I'm not even running 1/2 of the distance of the half marathon, but I am proving to myself with each run that I am not a quitter, and that, if I set my mind to it, I can achieve what at first seemed impossible.

It just feels good.

post signature

4 comments:

five dot design said...

just keep repeating to yourself "run like hell!"

or tell yourself that you get a chocolate sundae if you complete x miles... that does it for me... though i haven't run since high school :-) but it got me thru day 2 of the avon 2 day walk for breast cancer!

Melissa said...

I bought the same print! I know, I'm so bad. I keep looking up stuff for my blog and I end up buying it all!!

I choose option #3. It requires the least effort and doesn't require fitness gear or breaking a sweat. I do envy folks like you that can actually run...and enjoy it. But please, don't get mugged/raped/run over!!!

Jess(ica) said...

You go girl! I am mui impressed. I can only run for like 5 blocks before I'm through. So five miles sounds like a great accomplishment!

I think your neighborhood is pretty safe. Though I did read an article that says crime is pretty much everywhere in Memphis, especially b/c criminals like to hide in the suburbs in people's nicely manicured shrubs, etc. Luckily, my shrubs are ugly. But I live in Midtown, so I pretty much assume everytime I walk my dog that I might have to pick him up and run away from rapists at any moment. At least you are already in your running shoes!

Ginette said...

I love that print! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails