7.31.2008

Why payday is bad and my musings on bikinis.

(This post could also be entitled: And this is why I spend my misc. money on letterpress prints and jewelry, because fashion makes me batty.)

So, today I got my paycheck. The State is kind enough to pay me once a month...at the END of the month, so the next month, the Knight and I are required to be responsible and spread it out over 30+ days. Thank goodness his paycheck is biweekly!

Anywho, I know it is not proper to talk about money, so I'll try to hurry it up a bit. I always welcome the end of the month because that is time that we each get our "miscellaneous" money for the next month. Have I ever mentioned that we do the 'envelope system'? Well, we do, and basically, we set aside envelopes for gas, food, and misc. The rest stays in our checking account so that we can pay bills, but basically, the theory is that you can only spend the cash you have, and when it's out...it's out and you are done spending until next payday.

We've been doing the system since January, and it works fairly well. There are definitely months that we spend more than originally allotted (e.g., this month), but when we have to get money out after the original allotment, it hurts. So, we try not to do it too much, and I think it curbs unnecessary spending.

So, each of us gets about $300 for misc. money. Which probably seems like a lot, but that $300 is supposed to cover stuff like "fun" spending (movies, drinks with friends), co-pays if you go to the doctor or prescriptions, and gifts for other people. I inevitably spend more of mine on our house, and run out halfway through the month, and the Knight usually has to spend some of his to get me that much needed bottle of wine at the end of the month, but that is neither here no there.

I am telling you this because normally I spend my misc money on very little of "me" and a whole lot of "us." So, when I do buy something for myself, I feel giddy. Today, I bought three lovely things, and one is solely for me. Allow me to share:

First, I have been eyeing these two prints for a while.

LabPartners Flora Gocco Print ($10 plus $2 for shipping):



Dutch Door Tulip Tree Print ($15 plus $2.00 for shipping):


Love the quirky Dutchiness of them both. Makes me want to put red and pink tulips in a vase and dance around with blonde pigtails and wooden shoes (sorry for the stereotyping, but I love them so much!)

In fact, I have hesitated to share them with you until I purchased mine because I didn't want them to be snapped up (I know, bad girl!). So, finally, I have claimed one of each and they will hopefully arrive in a week. I plan on creating an inspiration wall of lovely color coordinated prints above the bed in the "aviary" guest room, and I think these will be perfect. I am planning on painting the room some sort of fresh stem green, and I think a host of different prints and paintings all framed in white will just practically POP off the walls.

Second, I stumbled upon these gorgeous bracelets while preparing the last "swanky" currently coveting post.

These three bracelets are cheaper than the price of one new bangle at Forever 21, and exponentially cooler. Can't wait for them to arrive.

Speaking of Forever, I went there this past weekend looking for a couple "fresh" things to take on vacation next week. That's right, my friends, I am finally going on vacation. We haven't been on a proper vacation in two years, and I. AM. READY.

This year, we are flying with the Knight's mom and dad in their little airplane, and so each of us can only take 20 lbs of luggage. I know, it seems impossible, but I think we can do it. At least its just the beach - going skiing would be a totally different story. Of course, I say this now, b/c I am a veteran at flying with the Knight's family. We (dating and all) have been together for more than 7 years, and in that span, I have flown to the beach with the Knight's family 5 times. The first year, I packed so many pairs of shoes, the Knight had to get rid of some of his clothes when we weighed our luggage to make up for my overpacking. That was SO embarrassing.

Swearing to myself that I would never to have to endure such embarrassment again, I now am a packing tyrant. My main rule is to keep all my clothes in the same color palette, so as to cut down the need for multiple shoes and purses. This year, I am only bringing 2 pairs of shoes - flip-flops (which I'll be wearing, so they don't count) and my running shoes. If you know me, you know that that is a HUGE accomplishment.

Also, when I go on vacation, there are three very important things I consider when packing: what we will be doing, where we will be eating, and the possibility of getting sun burnt.

Since we are going to Captiva Island, I will need the following - bathing suits and cover-ups for the beach (pack two of each, in case the one from the day before isn't quite dry), oh-so-soft clothes that go easy on the sunburn for dinner, and a few lounge clothes for taking that evening stroll down Andy Rosse Lane after eating at the Mucky Duck. Oh, and possibly working out.

In search of a few more beachy and soft things to wear at night, got these two little things:

brown bubble dress ($14.50)

orange floral tunic ($19.80)

Cute, huh?

I was hoping that my body would be "bikini-ready" for the beach, but after trying on all of my bikinis today and taking a hard look at reality (and my butt), I have decided to stick to the one piece. (one bikini might sneak its way in my luggage, but BIKINI? I'm watching you). It's not that I think I look bad in one, its just that I don't think I look good in one. I can take it or leave it, and this year? I'd rather leave it.

Despite having a fairly flat tummy, I (well, my entire family) is unusually predisposed to cellulite. We are all very solid people, and even at my thinnest (Size tiny in high school), I still had it. Despite the fact that my torso seems to be lean and long under clothes, when revealed, I even have tiny dimples of cellulite on my sides. I know, I know - GROSS, right? Right, I would agree with you, it is gross. And, quite unfair, considering that I know people much chunkier than me who have no signs of the stuff. Ugh. Vacation brings out my ugly desire to be an Italian supermodel to the fullest. The Knight and I have been doing the South Beach diet for several months now, and I have been training for a 1/2 marathon. Despite this what I consider "healthy" lifestyle, I still have hints of the dimps. Dimps...that almost sounds cute. Almost.

To that end, no two-piece. I hate that I am too insecure to wear one this year, but I truly feel it is for the best. Plus, it doesn't help that Maggie (the Knight's sister) has had two kids and is a tiny size 4, sometimes size 2. Love her to pieces, but wish I looked as good as she does.

Still, I will feel secure and comfortable in my bathing suit, knowing that I have been dieting and running like a madwoman, and this is just as good as its gonna get right now... Sure, sure, I know one pieces are all the rage this year, and I have to admit, mine is quite cute. Think navy and white nautical version of this Louis Vuitton print, with a deep halter neckline. But, I fear that once you go into one-piece land, it is impossible to leave. I certainly do not want to appear matronly at the ripe old age of 27. I am convinced that one-pieces are the quick sand of the bathing suit industry. Here's hoping I won't get stuck.

One leg in and one leg out,
post signature

8 comments:

five dot design said...

oh i have ventured into the "one piece" this year as well... after having a baby i haven't been so lucky to lose the chunk that winter prego-ness allows you to keep comfortably on under those sweaters. i consider it my "mom suit"

break out the bikini while you can! you're on vacation! who cares! you won't see those people ever again! do it! do it! do it!

Cristie said...

I used to get paid once a month and it sucked, I feel your pain. Hoping you could e-mail me your new mailing address:
cac335@hotmail.com

Artsy Fartsy said...

Five Dot - I just don't know if I have the courage! My sister in law said that she would be happy to look at me in a bikini and tell me if it was a go or a no go, so we'll see. At least you have an excuse for that one-piece...all I have is a Betty Rascal!

Courtney said...

You have no contact me on your page :( So i'm sorry to leave this as a comment. But.... I wanted to tell you how much I love your blog! So much so, I have linked back to it from mine...Feel free to drop by!

The Lavender Lily said...

I hope you post pics of your new Etsy prints in the guest room. I love the art I find on Etsy, but it all seems so small and I'm not sure how to properly display such small pieces. I need some inspiration! :)

Have so much fun on your vacation!

Anonymous said...

How did I just find this blog NOW!? After I'm already over and done with law school. Sigh. Loving it! Big Firm Whore over at Bitter Lawyer is another new fave -- http://www.bitterlawyer.com/index.php

Can you two please get together and open a law firm by/for fabulous women? ;-)

Ellen Hart said...

I love both dresses! They are just my style. Unbeatable prices, too!

SouthernAccent said...

We're getting ready to start the envelope plan and I'm really nervous about it, but we seem to just blow money all of the time. Wish me luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails