4.11.2008

Here, with a little help for my friends.

Today has been an absolutely perfect day. It was raining this morning, but the sun was shining. I've always felt a little magical, a little inspired on days where the rain and sun meshed. The warmth from the sun mixed with the wet drops feels like sweet kisses from Mother Earth. It makes me happy to put on my turquoise blue rainboots and tie my waterproof trenchcoat.

Perhaps my joy today also comes from the fact that I am heading to Nashville tonight to have a law school girls' reunion of sorts. Daisy, Sully, and I are getting together since leaving Knoxville in May. We are staying in Daisy's adorable new house (aren't I the grown up one, with my friends having houses, and all?) and I hear that we may even get to meet her new puppy! I'm hoping to see some other law school friends while I'm there.

Also, my joy could be attributed to a recent financial windfall I like to call "selling my Barbri books on ebay." While I have purchased 30 or so things on there, I have never sold anything, until yesterday. This morning, the buyer paid me, and off I went, shipping her the books. After ebay fees and shipping, I am happy to say that I made around $265 for the books. That's $90 more than I would have received if I had just returned them to Barbri last August, plus I got to keep them (in case I had failed the bar!).

Now, I can eat, drink, primp and shop with the girls this weekend without worrying about spending our house fund!

Anywho, when I was collecting up all the books for the buyer, I ran across my notes and scribbles from my studying for the bar. This next part will not be of interest unless you are about to take the Tennesse bar, but a long time ago, I promised that I would post the mnemonic devices/word games that I had collected/created to help me remember stuff for the bar. I have to say that my personal favorite is the little story I made up about all the counties that are subject to TN's URLTA. When I told Daisy that one, she just looked at me like I was crazy, but I remembered it during the exam, so I guess it worked! I am not a great memorizer, and when I was very young, my father taught me that I could remember people's names, grocery lists, etc., by simply making up little stories or sentences about the person/list.

Some people might say it uses more brainpower to remember the little trick and then remember what the trick represents, but for me, it works. And so, I pass on to you:

ARTSY FARTSY'S ASSEMBLAGE OF BAR GARBAGE
(no assembly required; also no guarantee as to the correctness of the following)

CON LAW:
Strict Scrutiny: VRANT
V-oting
R-ace
A-lienage
N-ational origin
T-ravel

Intermediate Scrutiny: GUI
G-ender
U-ndocumented alien children
I-llegitimate children

Establishment Clause: SEX
S-ecular purpose
E-ffect must not advance nor inhibit religion
eX-essive entanglement with religion is not okay.

CONTRACTS:
Statute of Frauds: MYLEGS
M-marriage contract
Y-performance contract for year or more
L-land interest
E-estate; personal promise to pay for estate
G-goods; sale of goods over $100
S- suretyship

Rights of 3rd party beneficiary; when do they vest? ASCP
A-ssent
S-uit
CP-changes position

CRIM LAW:
C/L specific intent crimes: REAL CABAS
R-obbery
E-mbezzlement
A-ssaults
L-arceny
C-onspiracy
A-ccomplice (liability)
B-urglary
A-ttempt
S-olicitation

C/L Malice: just remember MA
M-urder (depraved heart murder)
A-rson

C/L General: MaRK FIBbed
M-manslaughter (involuntary)
R-ape
K-idnapping

FI-false imprisonment
B-attery

EVIDENCE:
Not trying to prove character, but rather MIMIC
M-otive
I-ntent
M-istake, absence of
I-dentity
C-ommon plan or scheme

Not hearsay: In VA, Elizabeth brought SOMe PIS, PCS, & ID
VA-verbal act
E-out of court statement to shoe Effect
SOM-out of court statement to show State Of Mind
PIS-prior inconsistent statement
PCS-prior consistent statment
ID-identity

Hearsay Exceptions; Unavailibility: FT. SAIDD is unavailable
FT-Former Testimony
SAI-Statement Against Interest
DD-Dying Declaration

REAL PROPERTY:
URLTA- a way to remember the counties affected by the law:
MAURY povich, george HAMILTON, johnny KNOXVILLE, and pamela ANDERSON smoked a BLOUNT together. They experienced SEVIER side effects. MONTGOMERY GENTRY wrote a song in DAVIDSON CO. about it. Their children, SHELBY, BRADLEY, MADISON, SUMNER, AND WILSON, love it.

Grantor Future Interests (not subject to RAP): PORR ROE can’t RAP
POR-Possibility Of Reverter (for so long as, while, during, until)
R-eversion (to A for life)
ROE-Right Of Entry (provided, however, but if, upon condition that)

Grantee Future Interests (subject to Rule Against Perpetuities (RAP)): REI can RAP
R-emainder
EI-Executory Interest

Joint Tenancies- a “TTIP” to remember them by:
T-time; same time
T-title; same title
I-interest; same interest in property
P-possession; same rights of possession

Easement by Prescription: The ADVERSE OWNER CONTINUOUSLY was VISIBLE and NOTORIOUS without my PERMISSION.

Adverse Possession: HELUVA
H-ostile
E-xclusive (excluding others)
L-asting (20 years)
U-ninteruppted
V-isible
A-ctual

Covenants Running With The Land: Law (PINT) & Equity (TIN)
Law - PINT
P-rivity-horizontal and vertical for burden; vertical for benefit
I-ntent
N-otice
T&C

Equity-TIN
T&C
I-ntent
N-otice
(no privity needed)

TORTS:
Slander per se: occurred on MT. BUD:
MT-moral turpitude
B-usiness/profession
U-nchastity of a woman
D-isease; loathsome disease

Intentional Misrepresentation: Dr. SCIENTER RELIED on a MATERIAL FACT and DAMAGE was CAUSED.

CORPORATIONS:
Charter: I share my NAME with a REGISTERED AGENT; PRINCIPAL OFFICE, and INITIAL OFFICE with the INCORPORATORS, doing all of this FOR PROFIT.

Hope that helped. If I run across any more fun little things, I'll put them up here. Also, I'm still working on that design post, but the Knight and I have learned that our dream first home is probably going to sell to some other lucky b*tch, so I might need to find a new perfect home. Or maybe, I should just wait until we actually buy one, and then post what I dream of for our new home. But that's probably way too practical. So, we'll just have to see.

With that, I'm off!

Artsy Fartsy is fully unleaded, but potentially toxic.

3 comments:

ashleystravel said...

Sweet! I have yet to start studying for the TN Bar, but I am sure these will come in handy.

Jess(ica) said...

Ack. Bar flashbacks. Can you believe we actually memorized all that crap? Unbelievable. Those were some interesting mneumonic devices there.

Also, you inspired me to put my BarBri books on ebay! Damn, that's a fine chunk 'o change!

Joseph said...

Just reading those mnemonic devices brings back horrible memories of the Bar and makes me want to vomit, but you're right - the one for URLTA is crazy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails