4.30.2008

Good Vibrations

That song has been in my head all day long. But its okay, I like the song, today is pretty, and I am in a happy, delish mood. This day is full of good vibes.

I'm flying to Tulsa tomorrow to watch my mom graduate. From nursing school.

(Isn't she pretty?)

Just typing those words causes me to swell up with pride for my unbelievably warm, talented, and smart momma. For most of my life, Mom has been a SAHM, and I know it took a lot of guts to re-enter the academic world. But she did...and now, she's graduating cum laude and was awarded one of only 3 nursing awards given this year. Her award is the "Spirit of Nursing" award, awarded to the student who truly embodies what it means to be a nurse.

Here is Mom - captured by the Spirit. :)

(Did I mention she's also quite funny? Heee!)

I have lots of memories of us commiserating together on the phone - me whining about law school drama and Con Law, and her stressing about pharmacology and anatomy (her classes were WAY harder). Both of us wondering if we'll ever really make it. Wondering what could possibly be there for us on the other side. Even though I just saw my family 2 weeks ago, I am giddy with excitement. There will be lots of happy tears, hugs, and kisses, and THEN...I get to keep the queen all for myself! She's driving me back to Memphis and staying with me for a WHOLE WEEK! I am so excited. Mom and I always have so much fun on her visits, and I hope our apartment can be the quiet place she needs to study for her state boards during the day.

It is also amazing to think that just a year ago, I was graduating from law school myself (Love you, Daisy and Sully!)

I was so excited about being done with law school, but also so nervous about the bar, so sad to leave such wonderful friends, plus I didn't have a job, and the Knight and I had no clue what we would face when we moved to Oklahoma City and then Memphis. We have had one exciting year, and I would be lying if I didn't tell you that this might have been our best year yet.


(Us, one year ago, almost to the day)

I'm also in a particularly good mood because it is beautiful outside and I'm having a skinny day. Don't laugh, those days do lift my spirits so. I have been running regularly again, and today, I am wearing pants that a couple of months ago were just a little to snug on my bum.

Tonight, Betty and I are going over to Jess(ica)'s house for Reagan's birthday. Jess is making pasta and strawberry shortcake, and I'm bringing bread and a bacon and pea salad. Now that I look at the menu, it doesn't seem to be super healthy, but birthdays demand deliciousness, and that is what we're bringing. Deliciousness.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is flying tomorrow. Now, considering all the problems people have been having with airlines lately, this may seem strange, but I have a little horde of books I have been meaning to get to, and the flight (and the waiting) seems to be the perfect time to start. The books on my list include:
The Nine
Then We Came To The End
The Devil Wears Prada (I know, old, but I started it, and for some reason, never finished)
Atonement
Memoirs of a Geisha
Poisonwood Bible
The Sparrow
The new Sophie Kinsella book, Remember Me?
All books written by Jane Austen - I haven't read these in so long, and watching the Jane Austen Book Club movie made me want to rush out and read them all again!

Most of these were recommended by the lovely Jess(ica) and Daisy told me about the new Kinsella book. I used to love to read, and lately have become embarrassed by my lack of reading. I think law school burned me out, but I feel that lately my reading fire has been rekindled, and it is starting to really blaze. Sure, I read magazines and blogs all the time, but there are few things more satisfying than snuggling up with a good book and some mint tea. Sometimes I avoid reading because when I read a book, I am a commitment reader. I can't stop until I'm done, and have a sick ability to block everything out until I'm done. I can't tell you how many times the Knight has tried to tell me something, and I am so into the book I don't even realize he's speaking to me. It is maddening, I'm sure.

Speaking of my baby boy, I have excellent news about the Knight. He passed two very hard and important "checkrides" yesterday (what that means, I have no idea, otherwise I would do my best to explain them to you). What this means for us is that we are one step closer to a raise for him (always a happy thing), and we can resume the house-hunting. I am SO over being in an apartment. Although I have grown to like our little space, I am dying to have a place where I can stretch out and just do all my crafty things. Currently, our kitchen looks like Hancocks Fabrics relocated there, and it starting to spill into the dining area. I'm all for not buying things just to have things, and I truly respect people who can live simply. I think we have lived somewhat simply (especially in the 400 sq foot apt in Knoxville), and I can tolerate making do with basic living necessities. But when it comes to painting, and sewing, and being oh-so-artsy-fartsy, well, my dear, I need lots of room. And THAT is exactly the first priority for me when we buy a house (well that, and not grody bathrooms. Oh, and a good sized kitchen. Okay, well, there are three number ones on the priority list, but oh well).

Today, I am giddy with excitement about all the wonderful upcoming events (including, ahem, my birthday). I am so happy for my talented loved ones and all their accomplishments. And so glad that they want me to celebrate with them! With that, I'm off. I'll try to post pics of the new graduate in all her nursey glory!

Artsy Fartsy is happy to be alive today!

2 comments:

laura said...

WIll you please tell me if the poisonwood bible is good? I order it once on Amazon & it never came & then I bought it off the street in NY, had Andy bring it back to me when I couldn't fit it in my suitcase & before I could open it, Murphy tore it to sheds!! I'm not meant to read it apparently, so you'll have to enlighten me! Tell you mom congrats & have fun this weekend!! Kiss!

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find the
majority of your post's to be just what I'm looking for. Do
you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome blog!
Here is my web blog ... click the up coming site

Related Posts with Thumbnails