3.13.2008

Suspect morning.

So, I just have to share. I went for my yearly female exam this morning (I apologize in advance if this it TMI, but its my blog, so here I go!). Like most women, I dread this yearly get-together for many reasons. There is the obvious and very invasive reason, of course, but, also, going to the doctor (any doctor) generally means being weighed, peeing in a cup, and having your blood drawn.

Personally, I hate all those things. Having to face the hard cold numbers on the scale and realize that, even if you no one sees you eating it (or you eat standing up, or you are eating it off a friend's plate, or the cookie is broken), the calories still count, just plain sucks. Usually, I step away from the scale disappointed or aghast at my immense weight gain. Of course, immediately following the weighing is the taking of blood pressure. No wonder mine is occasionally a tad higher than normal. Some stranger just made me face a fear I only experience once a year, plus it is now forever recorded in my medical records!

Peeing in a cup isn't so great, either. There are so many chances for something to go wrong. You could miss and pee on your hand. Ew. Or, you could drop the cup in the toilet water. Or, you could just sit there, waiting and waiting, with no results, and wonder why even this kind of performance stresses you out so much. I mean, come on, this is probably one of the few acts you have practiced daily since your birth, and why is it that something as harmless as a little cup can cause so much . . . nothing.

Don't even get me started on the blood thing. I know men are famous for being big babies when it comes to needles and that sort of pain. My mom, who is about to graduate from nursing school, has tons of stories about big, tough men practically fainting when they see a needle. Apparently, I am more like a man when it comes to getting my blood drawn. I tap my feet, hum, and take deep breaths, but I still have to focus to stay conscious while my blood is being drawn. I don't think that the needle hurts so much, but its the feeling of being drained - literally - that I just can't tolerate.

Okay, so now you know why I hate/fear going to the doctor. To be quite honest, the female anatomy examination is probably the thing that bothers me the least (but don't worry, it still bother me!) about these yearly encounters. I know my aversion to going to the doctor is not uncommon. In fact, I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of people feel the same way I do.

People naturally dislike being poked, prodded, having our privacy invaded, and disclosing personal histories to complete strangers. So, why is it that most doctors do very little to assuage these fears and tensions? So many offices are cold, sterile, and unpleasant. Typically, the staff and doctors in those offices are not much better. I would think, from a marketing standpoint, that doctors would want their patients to feel as comfortable and well cared for, as possible. Maybe, doctors don't feel that they have to appeal to their patients, since so many of us go out of pure necessity (rather than prevention or because we just love going to the doctor).


Which leads me to the reason why I just have to share with you. I just went to the NICEST doctor EVER. Yes, "EVER" has to be in all caps to truly convey just how wonderful she really was. First off, the office was tastefully decorated in current and fashionable colors and textiles (think lots of chocolate with punches of burgundy and orange). The furniture was comfortable, and there were two nice paintings and a flat screen TV on the walls. Also, the magazine collection was perfect for an OB/GYN's office. US Weekly, People, This Old House, Vogue, a couple travel magazine, several Parenting magazines, and a couple of Sports Illustrated. Now, obviously, that doesn't have anything to do with the care, but it matters when you have to sit in the waiting room for an extended period of time.


My name is called and I am ushered to the scale by a friendly, smiling nurse who, I have to say, was wearing some of the cutest scrubs I have ever seen. Think Vera Bradley's Java Blue with a little more kick. She weighs me, where I discover that for the first time in my life, the scale at the doctor's office tells me that I have lost weight! 5 lbs to be exact! I was ecstatic. I have been trying to beat the battle of the bulge that comes when you go from walking to class five times a week to sitting at a desk all day, but I was uncertain if my efforts were successful.


After checking my blood pressure, she shows me to my room, where I wait for the doctor. Even the gown I was told to wear was more like a spa robe than those awful scratchy disposable things. Finally, the doctor comes in. She appears to be mid-40's, looks like a typical mom in terms of weight and hair, and is wearing an adorable caramel and cream polka dotted chiffon/polyester blouse (think Julia Roberts' dress at the races in Pretty Woman, but smaller dots) with brown cuffed trousers. Very cute. And no ego-enhancing white coat in sight! She extends her hand, introduces herself, and proceeds to charm me. First, she notices my new skirt, and oohs and aahs over it. (Think taupe silk skirt with tons of mini-pleats). Of course, I appreciate her noticing. No doctor has ever done that before! She asks me a little about myself, asks me a couple of questions about my chart, and shares a little about herself. Again, something that no doctor has ever done before.


The entire time, she was warm and self-deprecating, while still being informative and professional. By the end of the visit, I felt like I had been talking to one of my mom's best friends for the past 30 minutes. I actually left the office with a little extra bounce in my step -- happy that I have found such a likeable OB/GYN so soon after being in Memphis. Not that the Knight and I are having any babies any time soon (or ever, for that matter), but if we do, I am so happy to know that I have found the ONE.

I don't really know what compelled me to share all of this with you, but I did. So there.

In other news, I have a new blog friend I want to share with you! She is a girl after my own heart, but with way more fun clothes! I envy her entire handbag and shoe collection, and really wish she lived closer so that she could give me a Forever 21 tutorial. Every time I go in there, I am overwhelmed by the incredible amount of clothing packed into the store. She seems to find stuff that is stylish and age appropriate. Very very so much loving her right now.

Finally, Jess(ica) has launched her own apron store on Etsy. We originally wanted to share the Curtsies name, but after deciding it would be way too complicated to do the accounting (Etsy only has room for one credit card which it credits for sales and debits for commissions), she opened her own! You have to check it out at www.jessicacurtsies.etsy.com.

She actually has aprons for sale (unlike me. I really am sorry, though! I have 13 orders I'm trying to fill right now!). They are very girly and vintage-y - I am sure many of you will adore them! As for my own little shop, well, my goal is to finish the 13 orders, and put some of my own creations up (finally!). I have been buying oodles of fabric, so I have a lot to work with. I have been trying to buy lots of different prints, so as to appeal to a wide audience. Currently, I am in love with this navy pin-dot fabric I found recently. I'm thinking a flouncy, full-length apron with white trim would be the perfect thing for Mother's Day (set off with a lovely string of pearls, no?), or even the 4th of July!

Okay, that's all for now. I'm heading to Nashville this weekend for a whirlwind celebration with friends, St. Patty's Day, mock trial judging, and then on to McMinnville so the Knight's dad can fill my cavities. Not so excited about the last part, but at least I'll get to see my lovely in-laws. Have I ever told you how much I adore them? I really, really do.

Artsy Fartsy is "sew"per excited about Jess's store. Y'all go check it out, right now!

1 comment:

Diabolina said...

hearting you for this!

wish you lived closer too...i am thinking of organizing a forever outing soon...

kiss,
D

Related Posts with Thumbnails