2.13.2008

Hooray!

I know this is old news, but I am so glad the writers' strike is over! Although I have enjoyed not worrying about missing my shows (and replacing my tv watching with sewing), I am ready for some Greys, some Office, and some Men in Trees.

Speaking of TV, I have new hair. Last week, I marched into the hair salon with pictures of Katie Holmes (new bob, but not the one with the straight across bangs) and Tea Leoni and said "I want that." The stylist smiled and went to work. She basically chopped 45% of my hair off, and I am loving it. It is shorter than the last time I got it chopped, but much funkier. I can flip it out, straighten it, hot-roll it, or blow-dry it under in the traditional bob way. I've had it for a week, and only one of those days did I feel like I didn't like my hair (I was having a Berries and Cream moment). I am loving the quick blow-dry and its versatility. Also, when I went to the gym yesterday, I forgot to bring a hairband for a ponytail, but it didn't matter, since my hair it so short now!

So, how was your Valentine's Day? Ours was pretty low key. Some people might think that I would adore a holiday centered around romance, but to be quite honest, I really don't enjoy it. At one time in my life, I'm pretty sure that I was a hopeless romantic filled with all kinds of heartfelt prose and wonderfully thought-out romantic plans for the then-current love of my life. But now, not so much. If someone wrote me a poem...I would be touched, but would definitely have to stifle my giggles.

I think the reason I don't like Valentine's Day is that I am almost always disappointed. I am very creative and a tad obsessive, so when I set my mind to doing something...I DO IT. Full out. Usually, my planning and craziness ends to my detriment. For example, when the Knight and I were still dating, we decided to split the Valentine's Day responsibilities. I was going to provide the meal and he would provide the entertainment. Well, I went out of control. I sewed...SEWED, people....a table cloth and napkins from vintage pink linen. I covered every wall in the dining room with white sheets and strung white lights around room. I grilled steaks, hand-mashed potatoes, baked my own bread, and although I can't remember what I made for dessert, I assure you that I had some sort of complicated, fabulous dessert to accompany the meal. I arranged flowers for the centerpiece, and for the piece de resistance, I handpainted a huge pink and red sign which read "Valentino's" and propped it on a chair outside of the dining room. I spent days shopping, sewing, and planning for this meal. All the while I would think to myself "Hmmm, I wonder what the Knight is going to plan for our date? Maybe we'll go to a play...or perhaps the ballet? I can't wait to see what he has planned for us!"

I'm sure you can tell where this is going, but when the Knight showed up...poor thing was ambushed. He had no idea that I had gone to such great lengths for our dinner, and although he had the foresight to bring a nice bottle of champagne, he hadn't give two thoughts about what we were going to do after we dined. When I asked him what we had planned, he shrugged and said "I don't know...maybe go to a movie?" Naturally, I was devastated and a tad furious. I had spent hours...or even days...preparing for this night and all he could come up with was a movie?!? Unbelievable.

The evening actually turned out fine. The Knight was so sweet and noticed all the little details of my endeavor and apologized for not planning better. We ate dinner, danced in my little rental house dining room, and then snuck champagne into the movie (50 First Dates, I think). All in all, a fun night and a great story to remember.

The Knight and I have been together for almost 8 years now. I used to tease him that the romantic bone in his body is a splinter he got one summer from climbing a tree and that mine was my spinal cord. His - an afterthought; mine - a central part of my body. Now I can see that he is, in fact, romantic, just not in the overt, ooey gooey way. A few weeks after that great Valentine's Day fiasco, we were at a party having a wild time. I drunkenly plopped down into one of the host's antique dining room chairs and proceeded to crack the cane backing of the chair. I was mortified and cried to the Knight about it, but didn't know what to do. Several weeks later I learned that, the day after the party, the Knight came over to the host's house and fixed the cane-backed chair for me...never mentioning a word of it to me.

What was important about that night and the Valentine's Day fiasco is what we learned about each other. The Knight learned that I'm kind of a crazy person when it comes to holidays and I learned that he isn't much of a planner. The Knight knows that these kinds of materialistic holidays are important to me, so now he remembers to do something sweet - he always brings me flowers (or has them sent to me) and last year, he brought Betty to me. I now know not to hold his feet to the fire and have also learned that his actions on Valentine's Day are not the sole and most accurate measure of his love for me.

So, what did we do for Valentine's Day last night? Well, I gave the Knight a gift certificate for an hour-long massage at a local spa, and he gave me a beautiful bouqet of flowers and a card. Of course, I cried, but this year, they weren't tears of disappointment, they were tears for something much, much sweeter.

Artsy Fartsy is currently quite envious of the Bluebook...if only all of life's tough questions could be answered by a comprehensive index.

3 comments:

Jess(ica) said...

Aww, how sweet. Thought I won't lie, what I really wanted to comment on was your very correct statement that The Bluebook has an amazingly comprehensive index. If only all books were so thorough.

That and I love your new avatar! That bouncy dog is very remnicient of your bouncy Betty!

Amy said...

I do recognize you!! Thanks so much for saying hello. Looks like you are busy, and what talent you have!!! Please keep checking in on us!! Take care,
Amy Stone Hadfield

caroline G said...

Well Hello!!! How looks like you are doing great! I love your arprons! So good to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails