10.03.2007

A woman of my word, although I probably have too many.

See! I told you I would post. And for those of you who might be grumbling because your definition of "Promptly" envisions 1 day later, well go on with your grumbling, but please find a little time in betwixt grumbles to forgive and read!

Shoe-d I?

I am dying to find some purple tweed shoes. If you know of any that are, oh say, under $100, please let me know. Promptly. And I'm okay with you telling me a day from now.

Speaking of shoes, have you seen the new Lela Rose shoes featured at Payless? Love them and need them. All. Probably going to order these by the end of the week, because I just can't stand not having them in my life any longer.

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with Payless (love the prices/ hate the blisters). But since they started featuring top designers (kind of like Target) I have been wooed back in. Last year Payless featured these amazing black and gold suede peep toe pumps with a stacked heel, and they are my favorite winter cocktail shoe. Still.

Yesterday, on my way home from work, I decided to make the dreaded trip to Super Wal-mart for the weekly groceries. I can't stand going to Wal-mart, but the prices are so much cheaper than every other grocery store around me, I really can't justify NOT going there. Anyway, I was wearing these terribly uncomfortable/ seriously cute round toe patent stilettos. The idea of shopping at Wal-mart while wearing these was enough to make me pull over, run into Payless, and pay $7 for some little Converse-inspired Mary Janes. I know, you are probably thinking, "why not just drive home, change shoes, and then go back to the grocery store." If I lived on any other street, I would probably agree with you. But if you have ever experienced traffic on Germantown Parkway during afternoon rush hour, you would understand that a trip home and then back to Wal-mart could easily take more than and hour and a half. Of course, I spent so much time trying on shoes at Payless, I probably could have gone home, let Betty out and been inside Wal-mart in the same amount of time. But then I wouldn't have a new pair of cute weekend tennies, now would I?

Airhead.

A couple of weekends ago, the Knight and I went to the MidSouth Airshow. I had never been to an airshow and didn't quite no what to expect besides tilting my head up staring at the sky for about 6 hours. But, I wanted to go, mainly because the experts always say that one of the secrets to having a happy marriage to is to share common interests, and since the Knight talks about airplanes in his sleep, I thought I could take one for the team. Surprisingly, I had a great time - plane watching, people watching, and spending unworldly amounts of money on charred burgers and bottled water. There were a ton of families there, and I couldn't help thinking how expensive this trip would be if we had kids. Tickets were $18 if you bought them in advance (we did), burgers were $4, a normal bag of chips $2, and a bottle of water $3. The stinky part was that you couldn't bring in your own coolers or anything, and the airshow lasts all day, so if you are trying to stay hydrated, you can easily spend $18 per person just on bottled water (6 hours x $3). Going by that calculation, a typical family of four would spend $72... just on water. Figure in 4 burgers, 4 bags of chips, and tickets for four, and you have spent $168 for tickets, water, and one meal. Sheesh. Chalk that up to one more reason why I DO NOT want to have kids. We would be in the po' house fo' sho'.

Oh. Here are some pictures of the airshow. Go crazy.







Speaking of babies...

One of the Knight's best friends just found out that his wife is pregnant. Apparently, they quit using the pill, and only two weeks later she got pregnant. I always thought that the pill reduced your fertility for at least a couple of months after you quit using it, especially if you had used the pill for a long time. Apparently not, in their situation at least. Either that, or she is one Fertile Myrtle.

Anyway, we are so excited for them, and now I get to spend even more time at the Pottery Barn Outlet purchasing lots of soft, cuddly, sweet baby things. Joy!

Up in the gym, jus' workin' on my fitness.

So, the Knight and I have become fatties. I don't know exactly what the catalyst was for our rapid weight gain, but it might have something to do with eating out more than should be legal and not exercising. Hmm...am I a health genius or what? Anyway, last week, it all came to a head when my butt could not squeeze into my fat jeans. MY FAT JEANS, people! It is one thing when you are feeling a little puffy and can't squeeze into the skinny jeans. And I can even tolerate those days when you pull on that old faithful pair of jeans that you have worn for years, and they seem to not recognize the uber blub formerly known as my hips and thighs. BUT. When you pull on the FAT JEANS and they don't fit. Well, then it is time to do some serious work.

After touring a couple of gyms in my area, I finally decided that we would join the French Riviera Spa. Nashville and Knoxville don't have those, and so for the longest time I thought they were just nail and spa places with ugly, gaudy signs. Apparently, they are gyms! Anyway, they are all over Memphis, and since we don't exactly know where we'll be living in Memphis once we move out of our apartment, I thought it was wisest.

So far, I am having a blast. I have gone every work night and taken some sort of class. I am severely out of shape, and even more out of breath, but I'm having fun and sore as the dickens. Last Thursday, I went to a class entitled "hip hop." It seemed harmless enough, and I've always been told I have pretty good rhythm, so I thought it would be a good fit for me. I was wrong. I want you to close your eyes and imagine someone painfully awkward...like Dwight Schrute from the Office. Or maybe, um, McLovin from SuperBad. Anyway, picture them in a room surrounded by beautiful blondes, brunettes, redheads women with perfectly toned bodies who are as graceful as gazelles and can move to rap beats better than any of those video vixens. Now, pretend that either Dwight or McLovin are a female version, and picture her trying to dance along.

Yes, now you know what I look like.

Even the instructor, who was so amazingly built, I wanted to take a picture of her and put her on the outside of all my food cabinets and fridge, kept smiling, giggling at me, and saying "That's alright, you'll get it next time!" "Don't worry, everyone has a hard time the first try!" Of course, I just wanted her to shut the heck up, and keep to her counting, but I was so out of breath, I don't think I could have muttered anything. So, I just kept nodding back, and trudging and tripping along.

The next night, I went to ZUMBA. For those of you who don't know what that is, the best way I can describe it is Latin, salsa, and current Hispanic rap mixed together with dance moves sponsored by Beyonce and Shakira. It was very fun, and the class was full of all kinds of people...men, women, fat, skinny, young, old. I felt much less awkward than the night before, everyone was encouraging one another, and at one point, this large Mo'Nique-esque woman who was standing behind me, yelled at me "Get it girl!"

I have learned that I am right cheeked. Meaning - I have a much harder time swerving my butt left than right. It is a very odd experience - trying so hard to make your hips go a certain way with little success on one side, and then having no problem on the other side. I guess I am not ambuttdextrous.

Trash to treasure.

Thanks to everyone for your compliments and support about my recent paintings and craftiness. I am currently working on another (I'm thinking abstract Nashville, but not sure) for Daisy who was recently a birthday girl! As soon as I am done, I'll make sure to post a picture.

Also, Halloween is right around the corner, and I have to get to getting on Betty Rascal's little costume. I think I already told y'all I'm going to make her an Ugly Betty costume, but lately her fro has been getting so big, it might be kind of fun to see if I can get her hair to curl. If I can, it would be so funny to make her a little 80's prom queen outfit. As for me and the Knight - I doubt we'll do anything this year. We don't have a lot of friends here, and I seriously doubt we'll be invited to any crazy dress-up parties. I am very sad about this, but at least I can drown my sorrows in a big orange bowl of candy corn. IF (and this is a very big if) we were to dress up, I think I would like to go as a piece of candy corn. I have been eyeing this costume for a couple of years, and think it is so cute.

Orange you glad you don't have to see me in a bikini?

The Knight and I recently learned that he is going to be able to take off a few days at the end of the month. This is HUGE for us, because based on what the air traffic control gods told us, we thought he wouldn't be able to take a vacation for about 3 years. It turns out that they weren't lying, but the three years starts after this next session of training.

Anywhooo, my Judge gave me the time off, too, and so, we have decided to go to Orange Beach/ Gulf Shores area. Memphis isn't exactly close to a good beach, so we are going to suck it up, and drive about 8 or so hours south. I don't think we are going to take Betty Rascal, and I am certain I will miss that little booger. I am pumped about catching up on all the books I ignored this summer (thanks a lot BarBri) and taking naps while listening to the waves crash. It might not be the best time of the year to go (October?) but considering the heat wave Memphis has been having, the weather might be just fine.

Can't Bar/Bri-eathe Easy.
So, we learn the results of the latest bar exam on the 19th. That is exactly 16 days from now. I can't tell you how many times I'll be going about my daily business and all of a sudden, a wave of nausea washes over me. The anxiousness and anticipation of those results is affecting my well-being during the day and especially at night. I try not to think about it, but sometimes, I just lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking about how embarrassed I will be if I fail. All of my friends, family, and acquaintances will know. All of the people I sent resumes to will look and see that my name is not on the list. I will be the first clerk ever that has failed the bar. I will be the laughingstock of the state of Tennessee. I will disappoint my parents, the Knight, and all of my wonderful professors at UT. Gosh, I'm getting sick just writing about it. Sure, there are times when I think I did fine and feel like I may have passed, but the fact of the matter is, I just don't, can't, and won't know how I did until the 19th. And until then, sweaty palms, sleepless nights, and shortness of breath are my best friends

Well, with that, I think I'm going to go google jobs that require a law degree but not a license!

Artsy Fartsy is pretty sure that "Dry Clean Only" is discriminatory.

1 comment:

Baja Hockey Fan said...

You might want to try piperlime.com for shoes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails