6.25.2007

Self esteem shot, please send bandaids. And hot chocolate.

Studying for the bar and not having a job is starting to really get to me. It is late, and I am blogging in darkness in the living room so the Knight isn't bothered by my insomnia. The last few nights I have laid in bed analyzing my job search approach, my cover letter, my resume, my writing samples, even the way that I sound on the phone since I've received braces (kind of have a lisp now). In my life, I have never had a hard time finding a job. Most of the time, I just decided I wanted to do something, and it worked out to my benefit. Even my obtaining my clerkships in law school were easier than people said they would be.

Such has not been the case in Memphis. I have sent out countless resumes with little or no interest. The Knight and I don't really know anyone in Memphis that has "connections" and even though my old employers have been encouraging, they don't know anyone in Memphis either. So, I'm pretty stressed out. And a little embarrassed. I am getting sick and tired of people asking me what type of law I am going to practice or where I am going to work, and then having to answer that I don't have a job yet, but that if I could pick the job I wanted it would either be in civil litigation or criminal prosecution.

The Knight has been so encouraging. He keeps telling me that he has faith in me, and knows that just the right thing will come along. And I guess deep down inside I know that too. I just wish my "right thing" would hurry up and find me!

Okay, enough whining and stressing. Let's talk about something fun.

First, Amy tagged me for a Friday Four, which for me has turned into a Tuesday Tour of some things about me. Thanks for thinking of me, Amy!

Four Jobs I've Had:


Four Movies I Can Watch Over and Over:
  • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
  • With Honors
  • Only You
  • Hackers
  • (I just realized that 3 out of my 4 movies were from 1994-95. Am I already entering the phase in my life where I never change my hairstyle again and listen to Nirvana and Cranberries for the rest of my life?)
Four Place I've Lived:
  • Jackson, Mississippi
  • Nashville, TN
  • Columbus, OH
  • Tulsa, OK

Four Places I've Vacationed:
  • San Diego, CA
  • Captiva Island, FL
  • Melbourne, Australia
  • South Padre Island, TX

Four of My Favorite Dishes:
  • Filet Oscar (With lump crab meat, Bearnaise sauce, and asparagus)
  • Creamy King Ranch Shrimp Casserole (don't know what's in it, but the Knight's mom makes it and it is amazing)
  • Coconut Shrimp with Plum Sauce
  • My mom's homemade Lasagna (she puts pepperoni in instead of beef, delish!)
Four Sites I Visit Daily:
  • Facebook
  • Barbri.com (unfortunately)
  • A Socialite's Life
  • Think Like a Woman, Act Like a Man

Four Places I Would Rather Be Right Now:

Four People I am Tagging:
Speaking of recipes, let me tell you about some things that I have been making this summer which the Knight and I have been enjoying.

First last night, I tried something new. I spread fat free mayo on chicken breasts and then rolled them in crunched up frosted flakes. I baked them on a pan with pineapple, and served the chicken and pineapple on a salad of strawberries, apples, a few strips of sharp cheddar, and romaine lettuce. I mixed a little olive oil with the pineapple juice from the can and drizzled that on top. It sounds a little weird, but trust me, it was good.

Second, I have been experimenting with unusual pairings of veggies and fruits. For example, last week I drizzled honey and olive oil on zucchini, apples and tomatoes and roasted them in the oven. Also, we have eaten a raw tomato and peach salad tossed with balsamic vinegar, an apple and zucchini fresh salad marinated in fat free Italian dressing and topped with walnuts, and sliced red, green, and yellow peppers mixed with sliced pears dressed with rice vinegar and salt and pepper. All very light, very tasty and very healthy.

Okay, that's all for now. I have more to write later, and some hilarious photos of Betty and her new Yorkie boyfriend, Romeo, but I just don't feel like getting off the couch right now to upload them. Betty is asleep on my lap, and I hate to wake the little pumpkin head up. So, have fun and have a great week.

Artsy Fartsy is wondering how taking two tiny birth control pills at once can create such intense NAUSEA. Ugh.

3 comments:

JDub said...

I completely feel the same way! Studying for the bar is horrible and, even if I pass, I have no job lined up. The problem is, at least in Knoxville, is that there are attorney positions available - just none for new graduates. Firms don't want to pay to train a rookie only to have them possibly leave.

Something will work out for everyone, though. Chin up!

Amy said...

you have me now for memphis connection :-)

Annalee Blysse said...

I used to have a job where I contracted with Franklin Covey salespeople. I needed to train the people I worked with and we all needed help organizing our time. This guy had a class on organization that was really spendy but our grant money paid for it ... and the organizers. It was very helpful. One of the more interesting workshops we ever contracted. I thought it would be fun to have that guy's job too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails