4.23.2007

My lifestyle is headache-inducing

Yet another sign that law school makes me crazy…
Today, while in my Criminal Procedure class, I experienced the most terrible headache I have ever, ever, ever had in my entire life. Amazingly, I made it through class and stumbled home. On my way home, I really thought I was experiencing one of those blood clots in the brain and within seconds I would be keeling over dead.

Funnily enough, one of my first thoughts was that no one would know I had died b/c the Knight would just think that I was in the library and not answering my phone and Daisy is out of town until tomorrow. How would Betty eat? Then my thoughts drifted to what would happen if I dropped dead right on the street. How would the people around me respond? Would they stop to see if I was okay or would they step over me and go on with their business? Also, how do people go about contacting my loved ones? How do they know where to look? If you look at my cell phone recent calls, you could probably figure out that the Knight is someone important to me, as he probably accounts for about 75% of my calls. But, it isn’t like his name in my phone is “Husband.” I think in my planner I have him listed as my emergency contact number, but how long would it take for someone to look in there? Then I started wondering if by dying, all of my student loans would be forgiven? Obviously, a third year law student should know these types of things, but I’m still not real clear on what would happen. Would the Knight be responsible for them, even though his name isn’t on the note? Even if you sold everything I owned, I doubt it would cover one year’s worth of law school debt. Also, how does the debt collection system count what is mine and what is marital property? Can they go after marital property (again, we don't have a lot of money, but we do have TONS of china, crystal, and silver)? Seriously, these are the questions they should answer for us in law school.

Rest assured. I am still alive and finally headache free. Thank you, Exedrin Migraine.
I think that my headache is a physical culmination of the stress of graduating, finishing my seminar paper, preparing for two exams I am totally unprepared for, NOT HAVING A JOB, and the realization that in about a month and a half, the Knight is moving to Oklahoma City for 3 months of air traffic control training. I know that we live apart during the week now, but at least we get to see each other on the weekends. I don’t know how I’m going to be able to handle studying for the bar with no Knight to counteract the studying’s awfulness. Oh yeah, and - I DON’T HAVE A JOB. Kind of freaked out about this part.

Who knew?
On Saturday, Betty and I went to the Ugly Dog day at World’s Fair Park. No, I don’t think Betty is ugly, but she is at the age where she needs to socialize with other dogs, and I thought this would be the perfect opportunity. So we socialized. With big dogs. Little dogs. Ugly dogs. Prissy dogs. The fair was hilarious. There were contests for best dog costume, best owner/dog lookalikes, best dog trick, cutest puppy, and of course, the ugliest dog. The best trick I saw was a little Smokey dog who could actually bark out a semblance of Rocky Top. Amazing. My favorite moment of the day was when one little 7 week old Beagle-ish puppy peed on the stage while his owner was parading him across for the “cutest puppy” award. Not surprisingly, the little puppy won one of the top three places. Betty also met a ton of doggie vendors. And doggie owners. People loved Betty. All afternoon I heard “Aw, your puppy is so cute!” “Mom, look at that little dog – she is the cutest one!” etc. I am one proud momma. One woman who was a vendor gave me a bottle of water and Betty some hairbows that she was selling, just because she liked Betty so much. Another vendor lady kind of freaked me out with her love for Betty. She kind of just kept staring at us playing. Every time I looked over at her, she would nervously look away, like she had just been caught. I would feel her eyes on Betty, glance in her direction, and then she would hastily busy herself with the bottled waters and hot dogs she was selling. Finally, I walked over to her and asked her if she would like to pet Betty. Her eyes lit up and promptly began oozing all kinds of baby talk while mussing Betty’s little fro. She seemed heartbroken when I finally took Betty back to move on to the next vendor. One woman was so taken by Betty, she actually went a bought a toy for her just so she could watch Betty play. I’m not sure how I feel about all these Betty sugarmommas doting on Betty. Of course, I love that she brings so many people happiness, but on the other hand, … well, actually, I can’t think of a decent reason why I don’t like it, except I’m selfish with my time with her.

Anyway, here’s a picture of her with her first sugarmomma toy. “Little Dog” (as I have named the toy, yes, I know my creativity astounds you) has become Betty’s new favorite toy. Nudging past the anal beads, even. I can’t begin to tell you how happy this has made me. Now, if my in-laws ever show up, I don’t have to fret about the beads lying about. Because I can’t think of many things worse than realizing that you have anal beads on your floor AND then realizing that your in-laws know what those beads are traditionally used for.

Anyway, since we brought Little Dog home, she runs around with him in her mouth constantly. If I lie down on the couch for a little nap, I am treated a hopping glimpse of brown and white fro-head, then little beady eyes, followed by crazy smiling yellow Little dog in mouth, little beady eyes, and brown and white fro-head. This adorable little Betty trick is followed by a whimper, which I interpret to mean “Momma, get off your lazy bum and come play with me!”

Little Man Syndrome.
Also, have I ever mentioned that Betty goes to puppy class at PetSmart? Well, she does and her fellow classmates include an English Mastiff (Max),
a Doberman (Twiggy, but he is a boy),
and a German Shepherd mix (Belle - not pictured here). The picture below makes the mayhem look a lot worse than it normally is. These two guys mess with each other every class. Sometimes Betty joins in, but most of the time she just circles them barking and avoiding paws and tails.

Anyway, for any of you out there with new dogs (Ana), I highly recommend this class. Betty has already learned so much, and we have only been going 4 weeks. (Class is 8 weeks long).

A Little Bit More.
Do you know that Target commercial? With the different words followed by "–less"? Well, I love that commercial. The music compels me to get up and dance with Betty every time I see the dang thing. I wondered if it was a real song or if it was formed just for the commercial. Guess what? I found the song on iTunes and thought I would let you know that “A Little Bit More” is a real song and is sung by Jamie Lidell. While you’re purchasing that one, go ahead and check out another of Lidell’s songs, “Multiply.” Very nice.

Speaking of commercials, how many of you have seen the Starburst Berries-N-Cream commercial? You know, with the strangely dressed, odd, little man who kicks his heels and sings “Berries and Cream, Berries and Cream, I’m a little lad who loves Be-e-e-r-r-r-i-e-s and Creeeeeeeeam!” and throws his hands in the air? Well, I just realized today that we have the same haircut. Crikey.

Well, that's all for now. Could I have a written a longer post? Anyway, in closing, here's kisses from Betty!

6 comments:

JDub said...

glad Doggie Day was fun...wish Murphy and I could have come. he had fun at the lake though, he enjoyed both swimming and riding in the boat. then we went and saw my grandmother. he was pooped.

be sure to check out my blog!! it's at jwhite82.blogspot.com

Pargolo said...

your dog is gorgeous! and don't stress - i know this time is hard. but we'll get through it.

as one 3L to another; you die, your student loan debt is forgiven. Not the credit cards, though.

La Cagnolina says hi. She just came back from the beauty parlor wiht a ridiculous haircut.

Artsy Fartsy said...

Betty was sad that Murphy couldn't come. And, Pargolo, I LOVE that your dog's name is La Cagnolia.

Anastasia said...

Hey! Yes, "Martha" and I have a coupon for classes at PetCo. We will make it there eventually - maybe after finals are over. Good luck with the job search!

Anonymous said...

Hi! What kind of dog is Betty? She's the cutest EVER!

Artsy Fartsy said...

Thanks Anon! Betty is a yorkie-poo (so the breeder says) but I think she also has some maltese in her. So, I'm calling her a Yorkie-Poo Malt. I think it makes her sound like a doggie milkshake. Which she is - sweet and wonderful.

But, if you are looking for a little dog like her, I would recommend looking for a yorkie-poo over a malti-poo. They have the cute little faces and these giant adorable ears!

Related Posts with Thumbnails