3.19.2007

Them's there a lot of big purdy houses...

Helloo friends! I hope you all had a wonderful, fabulous, amazing week. I know my last post was a little droopy, but actually my Spring Break turned out quite nicely. Now that I have my computer back from the laptop doctor, allow me to tell you about it.

First, my last post about me being bummed about not doing anything for Spring Break was really only the tip of the iceberg. Fortunately for you, and unfortunately for the Knight, he got the brunt of my emotional state. Sometimes I have a tendency to get sentimental (sometimes = all the time). And for some reason, Spring Break got me all nostalgic and teary-eyed, and then when I started explaining to the Knight just how sad I was that we weren't doing anything and how we are never going to have another Spring Break for the rest of our lives, and don't you think that this is foreshadowing for the rest of our lives, never going on vacations b/c we let the little stuff get in our way, the sobby sob sob flood doors opened, and poor little Knight was on the other end of the phone all verklempt.

After our phone conversation ended, I consoled myself by watching Dallas reruns, eating pizza rolls (hey - they were vegetarian), and chopping all of my hair off. Really, I did! Here was me with the old hair:

Here is me now:

I know it is quite different from the old "do", but I love it. It can still be glam, just in a very different way. Also, the amount of money I am going to save on shampoo and conditioner is incredible.

Anyway, while I was making rash decisions and poor eating choices, the Knight got busy. Now, there you go again with your dirty little thoughts. He got busy by calling up his sister and planning a little surprise trip for me. My sister-in-law is the only non-law student I know who doesn't have a job. Well, let me clarify, she has a job, but it doesn't pay, involves changing lots of diapers, and has very inflexible hours. In case you couldn't tell by that description, she is a stay-at-home mom. Although her babies are quite adorable and wonderful, she happened to be ready for a little break herself.

Anyway, since the Knight and her husband were heading to Atlanta this past weekend for the NASCAR race, the Knight figured that the previous weekend would be the perfect time for him to ask Sister to go on a trip with me and let her husband watch the kids for a while. How could her husband say no if he himself would be going out of town the following weekend and leaving all the kids with her? Apparently, her husband felt the same way, and so off we went for a girls trip to Asheville, NC. (Caveat - you may be wondering how their bills get paid, with all this taking trips and caring for the children. Well, they have a little ice cream store, with lots of wonderful employees, and have the luxury of a flexible schedule. I know, its okay, sometimes I get a little envious, too.)

Both of us had been to Asheville before, but Sister went when she was 11 and I went with a boyfriend (on a school approved trip, thank you) whom I did not like very much. So, we were ready to do Asheville right this time.

After several Cracker Barrel biscuits and two parking lot style traffic jams on the interstate, we finally arrived at our beautiful B & B...The Hill House Bed & Breakfast.


It was a lovely, well-appointed home with an eclectic decor and a bottomless chocolate chip cookie jar. Also, Bailey, the inn mascot, was quite a little sweetie.




After arriving at the B&B, Sister and I headed to the Grove Park Inn for some wine and beautiful views. Both pictured here.


She had eaten dinner here several years ago, and distinctly remembered the giant fireplaces in the lobby, so we decided to go see if they were as big as she remembered. They were.

Then, we wandered down the terraced area and discovered the Grove Park Spa. All we did was just look around, but that in itself was a spa experience. Right now we are trying to scheme a way to go back and take the Knight's mom, because it was that amazing.

The next day we visited the Biltmore Estate. I have mixed feelings about this place. On one hand, it is beautiful and the largest home in America. Also, the stories about the home's owners and the decor is fascinating. On the other hand, it costs a lot to visit (between $38 - 44 and you still have to pay for a audio or live tour), and compared to all of the truly amazing castles in other parts of the world, it is mediocre.

Anyway, we went and had a great time. Here are some pictures, just in case you wanted to have a looksie of where we were.




Wasn't that fun? Don't you feel like you too have been to the Biltmore? No? Well that is probably b/c you aren't allowed to take pictures inside the home. What a sensible rule. Which I abided by until I saw this pretty thing. I just couldn't control myself. But, technically, I think this might have been okay, since this part of the building was actually outside, and if I had been in a helicopter flying above the Biltmore, I would have seen the same thing.

So after all of this rule-breaking and wine-tasting, we were pooped. And hungry. Two delicious places to eat in Asheville are Ophelia's and Bistro 1896. We ate at both places. I don't think any of this information is relevant, but if you are planning a trip to Asheville, I highly recommend both of them.

Okay, so moving on. Remember that list I made last time? Of all of the things I was and was not going to do? That is funny. Because I broke almost all of my promises. I ate salads and did not work on a dang thing. I have recopied that list, so that now I can confirm or deny such illusory promises.

  1. I am going to get my nails and toes done. Possibly twice. Got them done once.
  2. I am going to paint. A picture for Daisy, b/c she asked me to and I love her, a picture that I promised the Knight last Christmas, b/c I love him, and a picture just for me, b/c I guess I love me too. Didn't even think about painting.
  3. I am going to go to Memphis (with the Knight). He doesn't know this yet, but I really want to go to Graceland. Still no Graceland for Artsy Fartsy. :(
  4. I am going to try to work on a website for Law Women. I am the historian, which basically means I am supposed to document all that Law Women does this year. So far, I have taken about 3 pictures. I need to do something. Law Women? Who?
  5. I am also going to try to work on my paper for Women & the Law. My topic is about off-ramping and on-ramping (when women leave work for a few years to have kids and then try to re-enter the work force). Women & the Law? What?
  6. I am going to teach Betty some new tricks. She's got the "sit" thing down, but I really need her to learn "stay" and "drop it." No new tricks. Possibly unlearned the "sitting" thing.
  7. I am going to watch all of the old episodes of "Ugly Betty" on the internet. My group of friends has a little supper club on Thursdays and they prefer the Office, so poor little Ugly Betty has been neglected. I really love her and kind of want to be her next year for Halloween. I'll still have braces. No Ugly Betty yet. Sad.
  8. I am also going to get caught up on "What About Brian." This is a great show, but since the Learned Hand Bowling League has been in full force, I have had to miss every episode. No What About Brian either. Double sad.
Wow. I officially did none of the things on my list.

Things I have vowed not to do on Spring Break:

  1. Work out. Kind of fuzzy on this one. I walked and ran with Betty, but never did anything else.
  2. Eat salad. Yes, at least twice. But that is okay, I like salads.
  3. Do chores. Sadly, yes to this too. Both the Knight and I had some serious laundry to do.
  4. Get up earlier than 9:30 a.m. Yes to this too, but only because the bed and breakfast served breakfast promptly at 9.
  5. Throw a pity party that I'm not in Panama City. DID NOT DO THIS ONE! Mainly because I had already done this previous to my previous post and because after I went shopping and tried on clothes, I was glad no one had to see me in a bikini. Apparently, I have more than one bottom now.
  6. Work out. Again, yes and no. But after reading the previous answer, I really think I should consider this suggestion more seriously in the future.
Okay, so I am fine. And the Knight is wonderful. And even though I didn't do anything super glamorous, I had a nice, restful break and was happy to come back to my apartment. And Betty was so good for the entire week, even though she spent the week at multiple friends' homes, and had very few little accidents. She was ready to go home, too.
(Please, let's go home. I miss my toys and peeing and pooping on your pretty rug).

(Please?)

Artsy Fartsy is very glad to be home. And is also a big fan of OPI's nail polish color, Ms. O'Leary's BBQ.

1 comment:

joey said...

my mom has been to the Grove Park Inn spa.

Related Posts with Thumbnails