11.08.2006

Just call me MacGyver...

So, I ran into this blog today and she was making lists! I love lists! I make them every day. None of them too exciting, but still... they're lists.

So, anyway, on to my list...

Last night, I was laying in bed trying to sleep. I often have a hard time falling asleep, so I usually play little games with myself like "If I won the lottery, what would I buy" or I think up random scenarios and try to figure out what would Jack Bauer do? (WWJBD - Miss Doxie!). Last night, I was trying to determine what 3 things I would take to a deserted island.

I think it is important for you to know that I spent about 2 hours thinking about this. I am not really good at planning for emergencies and always sucked at those "survival" games we played in high school where you are given a disasterous scenario and a list of various and sundry items of which you are supposed to notate the order of importance for each item. A roll of twine? Obviously more important than a canoe paddle. With twine you can knit! And make bows! All you can do with a canoe paddle is row and possibly hit people with it. Which now that I think of it makes me want the canoe paddle more than the twine. Although with twine, I could tie someone up and tickle them. See? This is such a hard decision.

OKAY. Focus. So what three things would I bring to my deserted island?

1. A wine making machine. This would allow me to make all kinds of delicious wines - coconut wine, palm hearts wine, sand wine, the possibilities are endless. Originally, I thought of just bringing a bottle of wine, but then I realized DUH, I'm going to be here a while...I'm going to need more than one bottle. Problem solved with the wine machine.

2. My laptop. Before I went to my deserted island (do you like how I own it now?), I would arrange for satellite internet service. I would also memorize my credit card number. Then, when I'm on the island, I can still shop, watch my favorite shows and movies, email my friends and family, and listen to music! See, I have this all figured out.

3. The Knight. And you thought I was neglecting all my practical needs. One thing about the Knight is that he is quite the handy fellow. He can do all that hard stuff like building huts, carving boats out of palm trees, killing fish, and starting fires. I can pick fruit and take pictures. We are a perfect team. Also, I'll have someone to sleep with. All my needs are met...Maslow would be so proud.

I know. You're probably thinking...I can't believe she thought about this for two hours... which I see your point. It is kind of ridiculous. But just like when you read the teacher's sample answer before trying to answer it on your own, you always think you would have answered it the same way. But really you wouldn't. It takes longer when you are starting from scratch.

But no, it didn't take me 2 hours to ponder the above 3 things. I also started thinking about what the Knight would bring, since I was bringing him. I figured he would probably get to bring 3 things also.

Here's what I predict the Knight would bring. Just so you know, I haven't asked him yet what he would bring, so we'll just have to play the game "How Well Does Erikaboo Know Her Husband." Yeah. I need a catchier title. I'm working on it.

1. A small airplane. If you didn't know, the Knight is obsessed with airplanes. His internet addiction is not boobies or pictures of feet with jam on them (where that came from, I have no idea), no, he is addicted to airplanes. Really. You have NO idea how many websites are dedicated to airplanes. There are thousands. Thousands upon thousands of sites discussing VFR, attitude, altitude, blah, blah, blah, blah, BLAH. Anyway, I think that the Knight would die without some way to fly over our beautiful blue ocean. So, he would bring an airplane. Preferably one that lands on water, b/c our island is a little small.

2. A Leatherman or some other similar multi-tasking tool. Unlike me, the Knight is quite practical, and I think he would pick something like this. SNORE.

3. His guitar? Or possibly a brewing machine? This is a hard one. I'm going to have to ask the Knight about this one. So I guess, I failed as a wife. I don't know my husband. But at least you know why I spent 2 hours thinking about this topic. The Knight is a hard one to figure out!

But there you go. My list. I know it isn't very long, but it's me, it's what I thought about, and now you know a little bit more about me.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I like this list very much indeed. Although the internet connection and the airplane might make the "stranded" part of desert island living kind of moot. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails