6.14.2006

Bonnaroonie Conundrum!

I drive through a tiny little town called Manchester on my way to work. It's cute, I suppose. It has a few antique stores, a great produce stand, and once a year, it hosts a music festival called Bonnaroo. The festival lasts all weekend, and is a huge gathering of music-lovers, hippies, and druggies. It starts this Friday.

Already I see signs of pending Bonnaroondom as I drive to and from work every day. Hot dog stands have started popping up. Camping tents are quickly appering on the sides of the highway. Gas is creeping up at an unaccounted-for rate. Local businesses have started putting their greetings up for the festival goers. "Welcome Bonnaroonies!" and "Get Your Bonnaroovenirs Here!" (I believe that last one is a reference to Bonnaroo Souvenirs - in case you didn't get it the first time. It took me a couple of drive-bys to be able to read the whole word quickly enough to gather its meaning, so don't feel bad).

Now most of you have probably heard about this little get together. A little get together of 80,000 people. 80,000 people which I will have to deal with on my way to work tomorrow and Friday. 80,000 people and me - all fighting for a spot on the 4-lane highway. Just thinking about the traffic is already making me feel like a jaded and seasoned local.

After asking around the office, the people I work with have guessed that tomorrow it will probably take me 1 and 1/2 to 1 and 3/4 hours to get to work. Normally, I drive about 45 minutes. On Friday, the festival actually starts, and there is no way to know how long my drive will be. 2 maybe 3 hours? Now, I must admit - the drive tomorrow will be interesting, to say the least. I am willing to make the drive tomorrow, solely for entertainment purposes. But Friday? Friday's drive to work sucks anyway. Who wants to go to work on Friday -- ever?

I am contemplating taking the day off, or working from home on my laptop. Hopefully, the partners will go for it. If my drive to work seriously takes 3 hours, then I think it would be a better use of my time to just stay at home, work in my PJ's, and intermittently snatch a clip of HGTV now and then.

What do ya'll think?

3 comments:

eff the nonsense said...

roo is more like 125,000 hippies

your drive to work may suck more than that...but everyone gets there on thurs...friday wont be so bad...

but you should go...its worth it

erikaboo said...

Well...I decided to skip out of work and go to an entirely different kind of traffic jam - Memphis! However, I hear that this year's Bonnaroo was outstanding!

James Baker said...

Congratulations Friend for your excellent blog on make money!Keep up the good work!
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
make money
I send you my warm regards and wish you continued success.
Have a nice day! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails