4.27.2006

Hakuna Matata and other related issues...

Today I had a bit of a spat with one of my friends. I have an account on Facebook, and in my profile there is a portion for my favorite quotes. 2 of the quotes were things that I had said during Spring Break that signified funny drunken memories that I shared with my friends.
After receiving a scathing comment from one of my friends about the fact that I had posted two of my own comments on my wall and that I must be so impressed with myself, I had a bit of a freak out. I completely eradicated any sign of a remotely arrogant comment, and then proceeded to send my friend a message letting my friend know how much my feelings were hurt. Needless to say, I was upset. I probably wasted about an hour of my life stressing out about such a silly little thing. Later I learned that my friend was just kidding and giving me a hard time. Gosh, I am such a drama queen.

We smoothed things over, and now sitting in my apartment, I realized what a little weanie I am. I HATE IT when people are mad/displeased/ unamused with me. Tonight, my friend and I hung out (all's good -so why not share a happy margarita?). We were rehashing our experiences of the spat from both sides, and at one point my friend said, "toughen up - you have to have a thicker skin if you are going to be a lawyer."
At first I was a little mad - why do I have to toughen up? Why can't my friend and the world be less mean? If I toughen up, does that mean by default that I am accepting a world that becomes more crass and ill-mannered every day? I don't know - and these really aren't questions I want to answer after drinking 10 margaritas.

So instead of thinking further about such troubling things, here is a little ditty for you! After thinking about getting a "thick skin," my thoughts drifted to Pumbaa of the Lion King. The song goes:

"That's right. Take Pumbaa here--
Why, when he was a young warthog...
When I was a young wart hog
Very nice
Thanks
He found his aroma lacked a certain appeal
He could clear the savannah after every meal
I'm a sensitive soul though I seem thick-skinned
And it hurt that my friends never stood downwind
And oh, the shame
He was ashamed
Thought of changin' my name What's in a name?
And I got downhearted How did ya feel?
Everytime that I...
Hey! Pumbaa! Not in front of the kids!
Oh. Sorry
Hakuna Matata! What a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata! Ain't no passing craze
It means no worries for the rest of your days
It's our problem-free philosophy
Hakuna Matata!
Hakuna Matata! Hakuna matata!
Hakuna Matata! Hakuna matata!

Okay so, I know you all loved reading the lyrics to one of my favorite songs,
but seriously, Pumbaa had a serious problem. I mean, farting in public is just
unacceptable. But he just did it anyway - with no worry of the respective
consequences. And you know? He got made fun of, but he still gave in to nature's urges.

So, what I'm saying is that I recognize that I need to be a bit more confident. A
bit more thick skinned. A little more worry free and a bit less concerned about what
others think of me (but don't worry, if you are ever "downwind" from me, I promise
I'll hold back!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not entirely certain that I agree with that last comment! Hakuna Matata!

Related Posts with Thumbnails